Freshmen: Have questions?

Here’s what you need to do to succeed in your first year of high school.

It’s now the time of year when we move from the general daze of summer into the rush of the school year. For ¾ of the upper school, this is a familiar process, but for that new group of freshmen high school can be intimidating.

It may seem scary but it doesn’t have to be. We have some advice to make the transition into Malvern’s upper school as easy as it can be for those new members.

It is important to realize that you come to school to learn and you have to keep your studies first. As cliche as that sounds, it is so crucial to success in high school.

Keeping good grades isn’t easy but there are some things you can do to try and make it easier.

Before you do anything, set a goal for yourself. It can be something big like trying to attain a certain GPA, or it can be a little thing like studying for 15 minutes every night. It doesn’t matter how lofty your goals are, just keep them attainable and hold yourself accountable for achieving them.

Staying organized is a major part of academic success. It keeps you focused on your goals. If you’re organized, everything else just becomes so much easier. Everyone has their own system and finding out what works for you is a big part of finding your own academic routine.

When it comes to success outside the classroom, be confident and know yourself.

Be confident. Don’t be afraid to join that club none of your friends are in. Don’t be afraid to jump in a Malvern Theatre Society show when you’ve never been on stage before. Don’t be afraid to join that team you know nothing about.

Most of what you do freshman year is out of your comfort zone. Pushing your boundaries will ensure that you find something you enjoy.

Join as many clubs as you can. Join them even if you don’t think you’d like them. In order to find what you like, you have to try some things you don’t like. This is how you find yourself as a person and develop your image as you go through Malvern.

Socially, try to expand your friend groups as much as possible. For the lifers and the people who already have a number of friends in the freshman class, try meeting someone new. You may meet someone who will be a lifelong friend just by putting yourself out there.

Be sure to go to the football and basketball games, especially the ones that are going to have student sections. We both agree that being in the student sections are some of the highlights of our Malvern careers. As a freshman, they are a great way to meet more classmates and make more friends.

The rules for the student section are simple, but it is essential that they are followed. First rule: say each chant three times. If you say a chant four times, walk off the bleachers, call your parents, and head home for the night to reflect on your decisions and think about what you have done. The second rule is the order of the section. Freshmen are in the back, juniors and sophomores in the middle, and seniors in the front. Follow what the seniors are doing and have a good time repping Malvern.

But you’ve heard this before. Everyone and their mother tells you to stay ahead in your studies and to get involved in clubs. However, they can’t tell you how to have fun at basketball games and properly chant in the student sections.