Sports Update: Cross Country

The electric Malvern Cross Country team is on the fast track to an extraordinary season.

A few days before their first meet, senior varsity captains Peter Borger, Dan Malloy, and John Powers were visibly excited about the upcoming cross country season. Their excitement doesn’t appear to be misplaced, based on the team’s early results.

Running with a young team, the team defeated Springside-Chestnut Hill Academy on Tuesday, Sept. 12. Scoring in cross country is done by adding up the places of the first five finishers of each team, and the win goes to the lowest score. Malvern won this race 15-47. Senior Peter Borger, freshman Colin Hess, senior John Powers, 8th grader Zach Brill and senior Dan Malloy finished 1st through 5th respectively.

Following this victory Malvern took third place at the notoriously difficult Briarwood Invitational race at Belmont Plateau on Saturday, Sept. 16, with Peter Borger running a time of 16:43 5k to take third overall.

In their second Inter-Ac dual meet, the Friars beat Episcopal Academy 21-34, a team assistant coach Thomas Pannulla described as their “biggest competition.”

This gives the team added confidence ahead of the all-important Inter-Ac championship. Hopes are high for the team. “We’re taking the AC by storm, baby,” Powers said.

Make sure to catch the team at home on October 3rd for a home meet with Penn Charter and again on October 10th for their senior night race against Haverford.