Fall soccer update

This fall, the soccer team hopes to have another successful season.

So far this season, the soccer team has won games against CB West and West Chester Henderson. The recent wins helped the morale of the team. The future looks good for the team and they are looking to build off of their early season wins.

“We are getting better each and every day and reaching our goal of getting ready for the Inter-Ac league,” coach Andrew Kummerer said.

Senior Jake Hodlofski earned Mainline Player of the Week and has been playing exceptionally well as the starting goalkeeper. Junior Matt Lamond has been great setting up the attacking play and scoring goals. Also senior Lucas Hammond has been the glue for both offense and defense.

“The season’s been going really well,” varsity player Desmond Papariello ’18 said.

The season started with all returning varsity players going on a trip to Italy and playing three preseason games there. Since then, the Friars hold a record of three wins, two losses, and one draw.

“We lost to the 27th [ranked] in the nation Central Bucks West and another really good team in Mercersburg, both games that we could have won. We aren’t really worried and we had taken a lot of positives from the start of the season,” Krummerer said.

The biggest challenge this year for the season will be scoring goals according to Krummerer.

“We have a strong defense, strong goalie, but if we can’t score goals we will have a lot of pressure on our defense,” Krummerer said.

On the mental side, Papariello thinks another obstacle will be sustaining team focus.

“The season is long and grueling and everyone gets continuously more and more fatigued,” Papariello said.

Despite this, Papariello thinks the team has plenty of on-field advantages, like their physical strength and work rate. However, he said their team chemistry is their greatest strength.

“We do a lot of outside activities together to make sure everyone is tight knit,” Papariello said. “It shows on the soccer field because we know each other strengths and weaknesses.”

The next big games for the team are Tuesday, October 3 against Haverford at home and Tuesday, October 17 against Chestnut Hill at Talen Energy Stadium.

“We’d love to get a lot of people out for those games, and the whole team is super excited for the rest of the season,” Papariello said.