Pro Indoor Lacrosse to return to Philadelphia

On September 12, the NLL (National Lacrosse League) held a Press Conference to announce their partnership with Comcast Spectacor and bring a team back to Philly.

After 28 seasons and six championships, the Philadelphia Wings relocated in 2014 to play at the Mohegan Sun Arena as the New England Black Wolves. However just four seasons later, Comcast President and CEO Dave Scott decided to buy the team back and bring indoor lacrosse back to the City of Brotherly Love.

The new team looks to replicate the success of the Wings of the 1980s and 1990s, but before they get underway in the 2018-2019 season, they still need one thing: a name.

Fans are able to vote for the team’s name, but according to uslaxmagazine.com, the Wings seem to be the frontrunner in the competition.

For some, it was hard seeing the team move in 2014. One Malvernian who was disappointed was former Wings player from 1991 to 2001 and current Malvern lacrosse head coach Mr. John McEvoy.

It was a bummer. It was like selling the house you grew up in. It’s been a part of your whole life, then it’s just gone,” McEvoy said.

Although it was sad, it was necessary and a smart business decision.

It was a disappointing situation. However, the team wasn’t making money and couldn’t afford to stay in Philadelphia,” former Wings Captain and part owner Mr. Scott Gabrielsen said.

The Wings just weren’t pulling in the fan base they did during their peak. According to McEvoy, in the late 1980s and 1990s, there would be 18,000-20,000 fans at each game.

“It was really exciting and really loud. It was just a really good time. I would chalk that success up back then right time right place,” McEvoy said.

Lacrosse was new around that time, so that’s why McEvoy thinks they were successful.

“People were intrigued by it, it was fun to watch it was really fast paced, aggressive, physical, and most of the guys back in that time were local,” he said. 

Gabrielsen, a five-time champion with the Wings, is happy the team is coming back. 

“I was extremely excited when I heard the news. Really happy having played for Wings and being an alumni of the team,” he said. “I’m very proud of the years I spent on the team and the friendships and bonds that were made with my fellow teammates. It’s real exciting to have the team back as it validates all the blood, sweat and tears we put in.”

But a question that remains is: If the Wings left Philadelphia because they couldn’t bring in enough money, why did the NLL decide to bring the franchise back there for the 2018-2019 season?

Gabrielsen thinks the franchise’s history is more than enough of a reason for Philly to be the location.

“There is an incredible stories history of the Philadelphia Wings. They are recognized as one of the best indoor lacrosse franchises ever and some of the best players that ever played the game played for Philadelphia,” he said. “They play at the Wells Fargo Center with the Sixers and Flyers and it’s a smart move from Comcast to buy them.”

McEvoy looks at the team’s success in the past and thinks they could replicate that if done right. “I think they’re revisiting the fact that if they can put the right product out there and they market it well, it can be successful, as seen in the past,” he said.

McEvoy says the sport has grown tremendously over the past decade, especially in the Philadelphia area.

“The Philadelphia area is considered a hotbed for lacrosse. It’s a hot area where there is the most condensed amount of players, but there was no pro team, so that doesn’t quite make sense,” he said.