State of the Studco

Upcoming Student Council plans include charity events, J-Term, and Family Feud.

Student Council President Liam McKnight said that Student Council is actively preparing for the semester to come.

One new program the council plans on is working with one of the charities Malvern usually donates to thought the CARES Walk.

“A couple weeks ago Student Council held a meeting with a representative from an organization called ‘Bringing Hope Home.’ It’s basically an organization that helps pay family’s bills who have cancer,” McKnight said.

The council is working on creating a fundraising activity. What the activity will be is still a work in progress.

“Some sort of new activity…we’re talking about a penny war,” McKnight said. “An activity where you get the whole school involved, [but] not like an athletic competition. It’s a fun way to raise money for a good cause.”

Collaborating with “Bringing Hope Home” is easier because of its regular ties to Malvern, according to McKnight. “They are already a Malvern charity, so it was kind of easy to get them come in to [school],” he said.

Another Student Council event for the new year can be expected in the J-Term.

“Out of the eight days of the J-Term, two of the days (one per week),  you’re going to have an activity day: freshmen with sophomores, and juniors with seniors,” McKnight said. He and the rest of the council were tasked with organizing the events during these “activity days.”

“Student Council was given the responsibility to create an activity with that time,” McKnight said. “We might bring back bubble soccer, or a spelling bee, something like that.”

For the next activity schedule event, McKnight and the council also hope to bring back an event from last year: Family Feud. “It seemed to be pretty successful, so we’re going back to that,” he said.

In the long term, McKnight hopes on turning working with charities into a Student Council tradition, but is focused on organizing their current project first.

“Right now we are trying to get one thing off the ground, with the penny wars, but then if that works out we plan on keeping in contact with them…maybe [plan] one or two more events with them,” McKnight said.

McKnight is now halfway through his term as Student Council president. He said that even with major shifts in school leadership this year, the responsibilities of Student Council have remained similar to previous years. “From my two years on Student Council, not much has changed… our job kind of always stays the same,” McKnight said.

However, McKnight said that Student Council does work with administration on some programs.  “[Assistant Head of School for Academics] Mr. [Pat] Sillup is talking to us, even though it’s mostly about the J-Term,” he said.