Hockey has strong start to the season

With a few huge wins against tough opponents, the hockey team believes it has the talent and the work ethic to make a run.

The hockey team, playing out of Ice Line in West Chester, has started this season off strong with seven wins through the first ten games.

After losing a strong goalie and key players from last year’s senior class, Malvern hockey has filled these roles well and are off to a great start this season. Junior goalie Dan Dougherty has stepped into his role as goalie, replacing Matt Hollingshead ’17 very well, and many underclassmen have stepped up to the challenge. Coming together as a unit has allowed the team to be successful so far this season, even though there have been some tough games.

“We had those big wins against Lasalle, had a big win against [West Chester] East,” junior Charlie Andress said. “A couple tough losses to some public schools [Downingtown East, Downingtown West, and West Chester Rustin], which is disappointing, but we’re having a good year points-wise.”

Andress is definitely having a good year in regard to points. He leads the team with 15 points as of January 21, with junior Nick Martino following him, junior Kyle Washkalavitch in third, and senior Joey D’Elia close behind. Even with this great production coming from these players and the rest of the team, they took a hit losing freshman forward Kenny Connors, who had been tied for third in team points with Washkalavitch, to a broken leg.

“It’s going to hurt not having him,” Andress said. “He’s got our thoughts and prayers.”

Although being faced with this adversity, the team has been very successful under the leadership of seniors D’Elia, Jimmy Bell, and Nick Fantini.

“I’m glad that I’m able to be the captain of this team this year,” D’Elia said. “Everyone on the team is really great and everyone really works their hardest out there, and it’s great to see.”

The team not only rallies behind their captains and standout players, but also behind the student sections that have been in attendance at their games. It is very common to see ten to twenty students at the biggest games throughout the year and the team is looking for even more to come out and support them.

“There’s not much of a better feeling than coming out in warm ups seeing a bunch of people yelling your name, just getting you going,” Andress said. “It kind of gives you a little more spark because you are playing for your school and representing Malvern and it’s good to know that people have your back always. Definitely some more motivation.”

These student sections have added that extra spark to the team, especially against Lasalle and West Chester East. Having already had these very tough games this year, the team is looking forward to continued success.

“The toughest opponent this year I would think is LaSalle and those were two of our greatest wins because they are a tough opponent,” Washkalavitch said. “Being able to come out on top not only once but twice is a great accomplishment. We’re looking forward to seeing them in the future if we have to and we’ll take them down a third time.”

The way the team is playing right now, there are high hopes for success, especially from captain D’Elia.

“I really think we’re going to have a shot at the Flyers Cup,” D’Elia said.