Sixers on the rise

Many students and teachers on Malvern’s campus are pleased with the way the 76ers’ season has progressed so far.

With the 76ers’ season becoming two-thirds of the way complete as of February 14, the team is showing much improvement this year, with a record consistently sitting above the .500 mark. Students and teachers on Malvern’s campus have primarily great opinions on the up-and-coming team.

For the first time in the past five seasons, the 76ers have won more than 30 games and are on pace to make the playoffs. Fans on campus are speaking highly of the team.

“As of right now, I think the Sixers are doing pretty good,” junior Domir Brown said. “But I think they still have a lot of room to improve. They’re a very young team, but I’m impressed with the way it’s going so far.”

The two shining stars of the sixers team so far have been Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons. They are in their second and first seasons, respectively. These two players have given fans, such as math teacher Mr. Jim Stinger, a lot to root for so far.

“Simmons has been borderline unstoppable so far this season. And as for Embiid, I take every game he plays as a blessing because he is so spectacular,” said Stinger.

However, not everyone at Malvern is on board, such as junior Chuck Andress, who is a Boston Celtics fan.

“They’re slightly over .500, which is about the best they can do,” says Andress. “They’re also giving up a lot of second half leads, and just don’t have the talent the Celtics do.”

A controversial figure this season is Markelle Fultz, who was the first overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft. He has only played four games this season, and is sitting out currently because he seemingly forgot how to shoot a basketball.

Brown commented on the subject by saying, “I just think he’s letting too many critics get into his head, that’s all. If he just plays his game like he was playing in college, he’ll be back.”

Overall, many fans around campus are pleased with the way the season is going, and they are looking forward to possibly seeing the first playoff series for the 76ers since 2012.

“At the end of this year, I think the Sixers can end at the four or five seed,” said Stinger. “This opinion is shared with many others around campus, and many seem to think the 76ers will be a playoff team.”