Max Fish

Max+Fish

With one novel under his belt, freshman plans to continue his career as an author.

When Max Fish’s parents heard him scream loudly, they immediately knew something important had happened.

“I was really excited and I was kind of relieved because it took a while. I was just proud of my work,” Fish said.

Fish had finally finished his first book, a gripping tale of a troubled teenager.

During winter, Fish could be found writing in his home in West Chester, or in Malvern Pizza with a plate of cheese fries next to him.

“I didn’t do a winter sport, so I started walking to Malvern Pizza, and I would just sit down and write for two to two and a half hours,” Fish said.

The book that Fish wrote was most definitely not a light-hearted story.

“It was about different social issues that were basically triggered by the abduction of a young kid,” Fish said.

The novel focused on a junior in high school that had many home problems, and went through many rough times.

“Both of his parents were alcoholics. They both abused him and eventually the mom left the dad and so he stayed with the mom. And then she started drinking and abusing him,” Fish said.

This book was not the first piece of literature that Fish had written.

“I’ve been writing for a while, I’ve written some short stories, and then I decided I kind of just wanted to finish out something, so I started writing this [the book],” Fish said.

Max attributed his seventh grade English Teacher Mr. Leo Kindon for unlocking his writing potential.

Kindon noted that Max was one of the only two guys in his class that understood what humor was really all about.

“For most of the guys in that class, it went right over their head,” said Kindon.

Kindon is currently in the process of reading Max’s book, and mentioned that he feels really good about him using the writing skills that he learned in his seventh grade English class. He added that it was very apparent that Fish still really understood grammar.

“From what I’ve read so far, he’s done a wonderful job with it,” Kindon said.

Kindon thinks highly of Fish, in the classroom, and outside of it.

“I would say he is a ‘Malvern Man,’ best way I can describe him. As a teacher at Malvern, I always like when a student at Malvern challenges himself, challenges his teachers, all the time. Not willing to just sit back, but asks the questions that he wants answered,” Kindon said.

Kindon believed that Fish was gifted, but he thinks that Fish did not let his writing skills become dull. Instead, he worked hard to sharpen them and be a better student.

“He was not the kind of kid that sat back on those gifts,” Kindon said.

A close friend of Fish, freshman Brendan McLaughlin has known Max for three years, since he came to Malvern in seventh grade.

“He was quiet and soft spoken, but when he did speak, he was funny,” McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin said that Fish could most often be found in English Teacher Mrs. Sweeney’s room during community time.

“He is usually doing his Membean or getting work done,” McLaughlin said.

Similar to what Kindon said about Fish, McLaughlin believes that he is a very helpful person, whether it be on the field, classroom, or anywhere else. Fish and McLaughlin are both playing rugby for the first time this year.

“He knows that I am new to rugby and he takes the time to help me with learning the sport and getting to know the rules,” McLaughlin said.

Along with being helpful, McLaughlin acknowledged how dependable Fish was.

“He’s always someone that I can count on,” McLaughlin said. “He has always been someone that I can talk to about anything and ask for help on anything like homework or something going on.”

Fish noted that Malvern has really helped him expand his horizon and become a better writer.

“A lot people think, ‘Oh I got to do a sport because I’m at Malvern,’” Fish said. “Well just expand your horizons, because I wouldn’t have started writing if it wasn’t for Malvern. So, definitely once you figure out what you really enjoy, start pursuing it.”