Kevin Boyle

Kevin+Boyle

Student, athlete, and avid gamer has earned a great reputation from his peers and teachers at Malvern.

Senior Kevin Boyle, who is also known by his nickname K-Bo, keeps his life simple.  He centers it around school, sports, and video games. Still, over his four years at Malvern, K-Bo has become one of the most well liked and respected kids in his class.

Boyle lives in West Chester and has three siblings; older brother Brian, who is a sophomore at Bucknell and a graduate from Malvern’s Class of 2016, a sister who is a freshman at Villa Maria, and a brother in seventh grade at St. Maximilian Kolbe in West Chester.

He came to Malvern in ninth grade from St. Maximilian Kolbe.  A large group of kids came to Malvern from St. Max that year, which helped Boyle ease into high school.  There were also people already at the school, including his brother Brian, who made a difference in his decision to come here.

“My brother [Brian] was already here, and I knew a lot of kids that went to Malvern and really recommended Malvern,” Boyle said.

Senior Brendan Devine was one of those St. Max kids who has been with Kevin for most of his life. Devine had nothing but great things to say about his relationship with Boyle

“I’ve gone to school with Kevin for 12 years now, and Kevin’s a really down-to-Earth guy and really hard worker,” Devine said. “You can see it on the football field or the track.  He’s not really the biggest guy, but he works really hard to be really fast and athletic. He’s always been like that.”

Boyle has played football and ran outdoor track for all four of his years at Malvern. He played both of those sports throughout middle school as well.  Boyle decided to add winter track to his sports commitments for his senior year and will also play rugby 7’s after track season is finished.

Physics teacher and track coach Mr. Mike Koenig has been coaching Kevin throughout high school. Koenig believes that Boyle, in addition to seeing personal success, has a definitive impact on his teammates.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“He’s honestly one of the most genuine kids I know, really nice, and always a great time to be around.”

Brendan Devine ’18

[/perfectpullquote]

“He’s an easy guy to work with, coaching and teaching. He always has a willingness to learn, inside and outside the classroom, and definitely pushes himself,” Koenig said. “On the track, he’s a very natural team leader. I’m happy for him that he’s seen some success on the track and been able to achieve the goals he set out to achieve, and see that his hard work does yield some measurable success.”

When he’s not on campus, Boyle plays a lot of video games, an activity he has enjoyed since a young age. He is quite the accomplished gamer; for example, Boyle claims to have 280  wins in the ever-popular Fortnite.

“I’ll give you an update on my Fortnite stats after break; I’ll have a lot more wins by then,” Boyle said.

As he takes his talents to Bucknell University next year, where he is currently undecided on a major, Boyle advises that new students at Malvern should take advantage of all that the school has to offer.

“Try to get involved with as many things as you can in the beginning because that’s how you make a lot of your friends, even if you don’t play a sport” Boyle said. “I played freshman football, and even kids who didn’t move on and play football after freshman year I’m still good friends with.  We always talk about freshman football and our memories from the summer going into that. It helps you ease into high school.”

Boyle cites winning the Inter-Ac in football this past year as one his favorite memories from his high school experience.

“It’s hard to think about that. Really, all I did was sports, so that was definitely my biggest memory,” he said.

As the seniors go their separate ways, K-Bo’s happy and energetic demeanor will be remembered by his classmates and teachers alike.

“He’s honestly one of the most genuine kids I know, really nice, and always a great time to be around,” Devine said.

“He’s a really good guy.  He’s super nice to everybody, and I’d say everyone on the team looks up to him and respects him,” Koenig said. “He treats everybody with respect, and in turn they respect him. I feel like most of the teachers would say he’s a respectable person and say ‘Oh, he’s a nice guy.’”