Corey Kovalovich

Corey+Kovalovich

Number one on the Squash team and in your heart.

While he is a remarkable squash player and MVP, there is a lot more than mere athletic talent to Corey.

Having been at Malvern since seventh grade, junior Corey Kovalovich has gotten the hang of being a Malvern student.

“Before Malvern I went to Holy Family and Phoenixville, but I didn’t like Holy Family that much and Malvern has a reputation of being a really great school so I thought it would be a good choice for me,” he said.

On top of squash, Corey is also involved with robotics, Science National Honors Society, National Honors Society, the school yearbook, and used to play baseball.

“I have played squash since eighth grade, I have been on the yearbook since freshman year, I played baseball every year until this year, and the rest I joined this year,” he said.

Kovalovich considers squash to be his favorite after school activity at Malvern.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“The first things that come to my mind when thinking about Corey are fun and outgoing, he’s a team leader and spends time off court helping other teammates improve.”

-Coach Imran Khan

[/perfectpullquote]

“Just going to practice with my teammates and friends and playing the game that I love is the best part, it’s really fun,” Corey said.

Corey’s favorite part of squash is traveling to Connecticut every other year to play and compete with other teams.

“We get to stay at a hotel and we get to bond more and get to know each other better, it’s a chance to hang out outside of the squash courts. We go to dinners and just out to have fun,” he said.

Corey decided to join squash after he stopped playing basketball in grade school.

“Basketball just got really hard because I’m really short so I had to find another thing to do in the winter and I decided on squash,” Kovalovich said. “The other options were swimming, diving, track, but squash seemed more fun than all of them and I used to play tennis.”

Imran Khan, the head squash coach, considers Corey a leader on and off the squash courts.

“The first things that come to my mind when thinking about Corey are fun and outgoing, he’s a team leader and spends time off court helping other teammates improve,” Khan said.

Khan also says Corey is humble and will do whatever it takes to help someone.

“He’s very helping, very considerate, he’s not one of those kids that thinks he’s too good for anything, that does not exist in Corey’s world,” Khan said.

In the three years Khan has coached Corey, he has had many positive experiences with him, but one stands out.

“This season we were playing a team of nine players, and eight of our players got demolished by theirs, and their number one player who was really good was supposed to play Corey. Corey went on the court even though the entire team lost, he wanted to be the perfect role model on how to go on the court and beat someone,” Khan said.

Khan also says Corey’s looks can be deceiving sometimes.

“Corey might not look it, but he is one of the most competitive guys I know. He might not brag about a win or gloat, he’s not one of those guys. He doesn’t brag about himself,” Khan said. “He’s going to let his efforts, his hard work, and his work ethic show results.”