Blake Cunningham

Blake+Cunningham

Main role in the play, chorus singer and member of robotics. What can’t this junior do?

Imagine walking through the packed halls without knowing a soul. That’s what it was like for Junior Blake Cunningham as he came to Malvern all the way from Texas in this 2017-2018 school year.

Two weeks before the school year, Cunningham was on a long 24-hour journey from Texas to Malvern with his family in a large suburban van with another trailer to carry all of their belongings.

Cunningham was born in Louisiana and lived in Texas before moving out to Collegeville to attend Malvern. When Blake came to Malvern he did not know anyone.

“When I found out I was moving, the school year for Malvern was already over, so when I came to Malvern I only saw the campus, not any of the kids,” he said.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“Coming into Malvern I was terrified because I did not get to shadow or look at the school. I didn’t really know what to expect. I did not know if the guys were going to be welcoming and now I’m comfortable, I have friends, and I am relatively adjusted.”

-Blake Cunningham ’19

[/perfectpullquote]

This made the adjustment to Malvern more difficult.

“Coming in was a little scary because I did not know anyone and I was a very shy kid,” Cunningham said.
    Despite

his shy nature, he auditioned for the fall musical. He had acted in two shows before going to Malvern, and the theatre was strong pull in getting him to attend the school.

In the fall musical “Little Shop of Horrors,” Cunningham played a reporter. He had a few lines and the role was a good start, but he wanted more of a substantial role. He tried out again for the spring musical Monty Python’s “Spamalot”, and he was called back for his second audition. Cunningham would soon land the role of Sir Robin, one of the main roles within the show.

“I think becoming more comfortable with the people and the school contributed to me getting a better role,” he said.

Cunningham’s claim to fame as Sir Robin was a song called “You Won’t Succeed on Broadway”. He worked profusely on that song with Head of Liturgical Music and Men’s Chorus Director Mr. Ed Liga, and it showed out on the stage.

“‘You Won’t Succeed on Broadway’ was a very difficult piece with talking and singing. He worked hard on it and did very well,” Liga said.

Cunningham’s successful singing also continues in chorus where he sings in Liturgical Music.

Liga spoke about Cunningham’s dedication as an actor and singer. “I could tell he was serious about music and theater when I met him at the bookstore. He was riddling me with questions,” Liga said.

He has fantastic musical accomplishments, but he has also made strides socially and academically.

“Coming into Malvern I was terrified because I did not get to shadow or look at the school. I didn’t really know what to expect. I did not know if the guys were going to be welcoming and now I’m comfortable, I have friends, and I am relatively adjusted,” he said.

One of his friends, senior Rhys Werny spoke highly of Cunningham.

“Blake is an intelligent kid, he has strong artistic abilities in theater and music. He is always looking out for others and he is a great fit for Malvern,” Werny said.

Although he is more adjusted he did say “relatively” for a reason. The house he will be living in is currently still being built. So for the time being he is living in a temporary apartment. Through all the hardships of moving and meeting new people Blake has been a positive, faithful, strong-willed kid and a phenomenal actor.