Casey Lauder

Casey+Lauder

Senior and George Washington rowing commit enjoys AP Government and Fortnite.

If you ever stop into the weight room in the winter or weekday mornings throughout the year, you will likely find senior Casey Lauder training with Malvern’s crew team.

Many people around campus are aware that rowing is one of the most demanding sports Malvern has to offer. Lauder is an important member and senior leader for this hardworking group of guys. While the work has been difficult to have their recent success, Lauder’s experience with the team has been rewarding beyond top finishes on race day.

“I have loved my experience with the crew team. I have made lifelong friends there, and it has taught me some great lessons in life,” Lauder said.

One of these friends is teammate senior Patrick Keenan. Keenan believes Casey is the hardest worker on the team, and he says he is always trying to better himself every day.

“I’d definitely say his work ethic and leadership skills are what make him invaluable to the team,” Keenan said.

Though the end is in sight for his rowing career with Malvern, rowing will continue to be a major part of his life in college. This past year, Lauder committed to row at The George Washington University.

“Committing to George Washington was a big relief for me,” said Lauder. “I didn’t have to worry about getting into college and I could really enjoy my last year at Malvern.”

Lauder is not the only athlete in his family. His sister, Paige, is a sophomore basketball player at Villa Maria. On top of playing for the varsity basketball team as a sophomore, Paige was named MVP of the league for this past season.

Lauder is also a strong student at Malvern, and says his favorite teacher has been Mrs. Harriet Lappas, who teaches his AP Government class.

“He’s a man of few words, but when he has something to say it’s usually very insightful,” Lappas said. “I think he has a very logical mind so when he has an argument it is usually very concise and well thought out.”

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“I have loved my experience with the crew team. I have made lifelong friends there, and it has taught me some great lessons in life.”

-Casey Lauder ’19

[/perfectpullquote]

When Lauder is not training or studying government, you may find him squadding up with his friends on Fortnite. Lauder says it is one of his favorite hobbies at the moment, and that Flush Factory is his go-to spot to land.

Lauder become a member of Malvern’s Class of 2018 in seventh grade. As March comes to an end, this class becomes a month closer to graduation, and Casey is among the many seniors who are shocked at how little time is left.

“Having two months left at Malvern is crazy to think about. It feels like yesterday I just started at Malvern,” Lauder said. “The time really flown by.”