Mike Hussey

Mike+Hussey

Student Council representative and CYO basketball player is leaving a strong impression on the community.

Standing center-stage under the bright lights, in front of the entire school packed into the Duffy Theater, and the Student Council presidential candidacy on the line, junior Mike Hussey delivered his speech.

How did Hussey get to this point in his Malvern career? His path started with family and friends, two very important things for Mike. Raised in Media, Pennsylvania, Mike has great pride in his hometown and in his roots.

“I went to St. Mary Magdalen, also in Media,” Hussey said. “Reigning Archdiocese High School CYO Champions for basketball.”

Hussey loves to play CYO basketball for his parish. He has a lot of pride in winning with his team, but also cherishes the overall experiences he has enjoyed over the years.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]“He has no fear. He is fearless.”

-Mrs. Jessica Kenworthey

[/perfectpullquote]

“It’s a good time. It’s just fun to play,” Hussey said. “I have a couple of my buddies out there, a couple Malvern guys: Keith Maguire, Gavin McHugh, [Andrew] Sposato, Gavin Canzanese, Liam Dabagian. There’s a bunch of us. It’s fun.”

Hussey has really enjoyed growing up together with these guys through their younger years and now all the way through Malvern. His peers have truly enjoyed their years spent with him, ever since the beginning.

“I first met Mike in kindergarten. I don’t remember too much about meeting him, but we became friends,” junior Gavin McHugh said. “He’s been one of my best friends ever since.”

Hussey has had some great times with McHugh, making it hard for McHugh to choose just one greatest memory.

“My favorite childhood memory of Mike was probably always playing games around his neighborhood with a bunch of our buddies, like playing manhunt,” McHugh said. “And we’ve had a lot of great memories through sports with football and basketball, and always hanging out with our friends over the weekends.”

The two continue to make memories, as they love to hang out with each other. Hussey is a very loyal friend, which McHugh respects.

“He is caring and helpful, however he is impatient… I definitely could always go to him to talk. Just having someone there to talk to and ask questions,” McHugh said.

Not only do friends of Hussey recognize these great qualities of his, but many of his elders and teachers see his great personality, specifically Mrs. Jessica Kenworthey, his sophomore theology teacher last year.

“He has no fear,” Kenworthey said. “He is fearless.”

“When he said, I think it was something along the lines of ‘Faith can sometimes be outside of religion’, he just really had a deep understanding of what faith is, and I was very struck by that,” Kenworthey said.

Kenworthey definitely paints a great picture of Hussey, but can also highlight some of his other traits. “He’s loud. I think he acts in a generally positive way with his peers, which is good,” Kenworthey said.

Hussey has used these traits, along with his many others, to his advantage, taking part in the Speech and Debate club, and also cheering on the football team in the beginning part of this past season as he was sidelined with an injury.

“It was difficult, but once you do finally overcome [the injuries], it’s a good feeling of satisfaction,” Hussey said. “With last year when I hurt my back, it was hard to get over because it was supposed to be a big year. But, it was fun watching the team play all year, and then getting back in there at the end of the season was good.”

Hussey has used this determination and will to gladfully serve his classmates, and the entire student body, as a class representative on Student Council for the past two years.

“I liked [being on Student Council] a lot,” Hussey said. “I thought it was good to help out around the school and make sure that everything was running smoothly, running some different events and bringing new ideas to the table. I liked it a lot.”

This year, Hussey campaigned for Student Council president. Kenworthey was confident in his

“Anytime he had to take the floor in my class was always very memorable,” Kenworthey said. “Like when he had to speak. I thought he did a great job with his speech [for President].”

He ran alongside what would have been his vice president junior Tim Mitchell. They ended up not winning the election, but Hussey was not too upset.

“I thought it would look really good for colleges, so it would help a lot,” Hussey said. “And I want to be involved in the school as much as I can, and I know that position entails a lot of involvement.”

After getting into Malvern, one of the happiest moments of Hussey’s life, he has truly loved his experience at this school over the past few years.

“Hopefully [my classmates will remember me] as a good friend, a good person, and someone who always worked hard to do good for others,” Hussey said.