State of the StudCo

Junior Billy Carlini has been involved with Student Council since his middle school years. He started on Malvern’s during his freshman year and is very grateful for the experience Malvern has given him. He thought that it would be nice to give something back and run for the 2018-2019 school year presidency. Now, he is in the position to make his wish of giving back a reality.

Carlini thinks that this year’s President Liam McKnight ’18 has done a great job in a number of areas as the President.  

“Liam is very personable. What he was the best at was connecting with his class and the whole student body,” Carlini said. “He also did a good job on the athletic side of things with the Blue and Grey Games and stuff. He was also very active like he went to all the plays. He was always there.”

Since he thinks Liam did such a great job, Carlini wants to keep a couple things around that he thought were successful.

“From Liam’s tenure, I want to keep up the fun environment of the Student Council team. Also, I want to continue with the egg toss. It’s epic,” he said.

In Carlini’s opinion, some of his qualities will help him be a an effective leader.  

“I will be a good leader because I have already connected with most of the Malvern community. Also, I will listen to everyone’s voices,” he said.

Carlini thinks that he can help make next year a very fun one. In particular, he thinks that Friar Nation will be a big part of this.

“I want to make it a really fun year… I think the Friar Nation is going to be one of the highlights of our next year. That’ll be partially due to the student body itself and less of me,” he said.

According to Carlini, there will be a lot of new traditions starting next year. Some of these include changes to the Blue and Grey Games and the pep rally.

“The Blue and Grey Games and the pep rally are going to be a 180 degree flip from what they usually are,” Carlini said. “We are planning on a new senior lounge… we think that it’ll be a good year.”

Assisting him in his efforts are fellow and juniors members of his executive board, Vice President Jack Boyle, events chairman Sean Rushton, and secretary Connor Leyden. Carlini knows that they will work well together because of their already close relationships.

“Luckily we are all very close friends to begin with, and we have worked together in the past on things like school projects and even now we are working on some stuff. Already, I can tell we have a great dynamic. It’s going to be a lot of fun working with them,” he said.

Because of the Class of 2019, Carlini believes his job will be a lot easier. For him, their enthusiasm will help a lot with the presidency.

“Our class is real special. I think we are one of the most enthusiastic classes… No one is going to be too cool for something, which is what I’m really excited about,” he said. “I think the attitude we’ll bring towards Malvern will make for a lot of school spirit… You can be the best President in the world, but if you don’t have a student body who is very into it then it’s not going to be easy.”
Carlini hopes that the student body views him as a supporter next year and someone who gets things done.  

“I don’t want to be the dude who is running the show. It’s more about the student body then it is about me. I hope they view me as a good leader and a good guy who makes a lot of things happen. That goes for how Jack, Connor, and Sean want to be viewed as well. I want to be viewed as a unit with them,” Carlini said.

When asked if he had a message that he wanted relayed to the student body, Carlini responded with three simple words.

“Let’s get it,” he said.