Five snacks you haven’t tried that are secretly amazing

Feeling adventurous? Try something new.

Over the past few years I have tried so many different types of snack foods that it has almost become an obsession. Here I share my top five that might interest Lantern readers. You may not be able to find some of these items at every store—but each of them is worth going out of your way.

1. Birthday Cake Smoothie

Not many people know that Wawa recently added a “secret menu” to their touch screen ordering system. You can find the secret menu by touching the flying “wawa bird” icon at the bottom left corner of the ordering screen. On the secret menu, are birthday cake flavored smoothies and milkshakes. I have tried both and they pull off the birthday cake taste without tasting too sugary. If you are in the mood to try something different on your next Wawa run, these drinks would go perfectly with a hoagie.

2. Botan Rice Candy

One of my all time favorite aisles in my local Wegmans is the “Foreign/Asian” aisle. You can find all sorts of authentic Chinese and Japanese dishes, and some of the best soy sauce I have ever tasted. In the middle of the aisle lays a few shelves of super rare japanese candy, and it is truly incredible. One of the stand out items is the Botan Rice Candy. It basically tastes like a less sugary pink starburst, but even sweeter and less chewy. The individual candies are wrapped in a thin rice paper, which you eat along with the candy. It melts in your mouth and is something I haven’t seen in any other candy. Overall, it is worth a try on your next adventure to Wegmans.

3. Almond Crush Pocky

Another favorite from the iconic Wegmans “Asian” aisle is the Almond Crush Pocky. Most of us have seen the regular milk chocolate flavor some place or another, but once again Wegmans comes through with all of the rare flavors. The best in my opinion is the Almond Crush, which is a mix of almonds and silky milk chocolate. Almonds not your thing? Wegmans also carries the Strawberry, Cookies and Cream and Matcha flavors.

4. Ramune Classic

This is my last one from the Wegmans Asian aisle—I promise. Some of you might have seen this drink at Habache type restaurants, but Wegmans has them in six-packs and it is glorious. For those who don’t know, Ramune is a classic Japanese soda with a twist; you have to pop a special marble mechanism to open the drink. When you do get it open, it is spectacular. Better than anything the Coca-Cola monopoly can produce, in my opinion. It is available at Wegmans in the Classic, Melon and Strawberry flavors.

5. Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte

Everyone who knows me personally knows that I have a crippling addiction—my morning Starbucks. Every morning I grab my usual iced latte, but sometimes I like to switch it up. No other drink that I have ordered has gotten this many questions and stares. The Green Tea Latte is a combination of soy milk, a shot of espresso and matcha powder. I’ll be honest, Matcha is definitely an acquired taste, but if you enjoy unsweetened green tea then you will love Matcha. If you want something different next time you visit Starbucks, or want everyone to stare at your oddly green Starbucks cup, then the Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte is for you!