Athlete of the Issue: Andy Pancoast

pancoast
Pancoast, high jumping in his favorite sport.

He’s lean, mean, and not too far in between.  Well not mean, but definitely lean.  And athletic.

Andy Pancoast, senior, is a standout three sport athlete at Malvern. He started at cornerback and wide receiver for the football team, played on the basketball team, and is currently in the high jump for the track team.

Pancoast’s unique combination of height and athletic ability allowed him to excel at all three sports.

At 6’4’’, 170 lb, he could climb the ladder to either defend passes as a corner or haul them in as a wide receiver.  According to TedSilary.com, Pancoast caught 24 passes for 336 yards and 4 touchdowns on the season.  On the basketball court , he had success slashing through the defense and attacking the rim.  And this spring, he will be relying on his freakish jumping ability to sky the bar in the high jump.

Pancoast has gotten the most recognition as a high jumper.  He will be jumping for Bucknell University in the fall. He will be studying in the College of Arts and Sciences.

BH: Out of the three varsity sports you play, which is your favorite?

AP: Of the three sports, football is definitely my favorite.

BH: How did you get into high jumping?

AP: Sophomore year I stopped playing lacrosse to train for football, I ended up one day on the track seeing how high I could jump and after I jumped 6’1″ I wasn’t left with much of a choice to join the team and it has been one of my best decisions at Malvern.

BH: What has been your fondest memory for each team you’ve played on?

AP: Thinking of my best memories for each sport you usually instantly think to the championships.  In football, my whole senior year was one of the best times of my life, a few games do stick out though, LaSalle, Episcopal, and St. Joe’s Prep.  In basketball I would say my sophomore year has been my best memory, being on the team that repeated as inter-ac champs and started the season I believe 19-0.  In track my favorite memory was sophomore year the inter-ac invitational when I finished second and took senior Tom Pitt to the wire, losing by 1 inch.

BH: When was the first time you dunked?  Have you done it in a game?

AP: The first time I dunked was freshman year spring.  The only time I have dunked in a Malvern game was the last game this year and it was called off due to an illegal screen.

BH: Intramural basketball season is right around the corner and you’ve been a staple of the league for the last three years.  But the championship has alluded your team each year.  Are you planning to enter a team this year?

AP: I am on a team this year, its a new team for me and I believe we have what it takes to bring home the championship. We are an all senior squad captained by the two St. Amours.

BH: What are your expectations for the track and field team this spring?

AP: The Track and Field team is always atop the Inter-Ac and I think we are going to have another championship year, although I can only score at one event we are very deep with great athletes.

pancoast2