Movie Review: “Avengers: Infinity War”

Nineteen movies and 36 hours of film have all lead up to the this movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How does it fare against the rest?

I left my house, to go to a packed theater on the weekend “Avengers: Infinity War” came out. Half of my friends there with me were huge Marvel Fans, and the other half couldn’t care less.

So, what did everyone think? Well, other than a few minor confusions, my friends who had not seen a ton of Marvel actually liked the movie. They thought it was entertaining for an action movie and that they were excited for the next one. My big Marvel fan friends were blown away on the other hand.

My one friend, had his jaw slightly ajar through most of the scenes. He adored every moment, and can hardly wait for the next movie.

So, what did I think? I thought it was alright. Some of the scenes were boring to me. Though there were a ton of characters, there was basically an A and a B plot for this movie. One story followed Spider Man and Iron Man, and the other followed Captain America and Vision.

I loved the Iron Man/Spider Man parts and it just blows my mind that they kept clipping back to this boring plot about Captain America fighting these forgettable sidekicks.

The Iron Man plot was set on this bright and cool looking planet, while Captain America’s was filmed in this boring, colorless, CGI Wakandan battlefield. I truly felt that the film would come to a grinding halt every time the focus shifted towards Captain America.

But other than that, the movie was pretty jam packed. Because they had to fit so much into this one movie, it moved at a fast pace. The movie had to move to the next part very quickly, but for this kind of film, it works.

The fast pace gives the feeling that the heroes of the story have limited time, and that they were really fighting against the clock. Usually in these movies, the action feels fake. It is usually just one big superhero fighting hordes of faceless enemies.

Though this was definitely true for some parts of the movie, more specifically the Captain America parts. I also felt that the fight scenes had more interesting choreography that movies in the past.

For the first time in a long time, I am actually excited for the second part in a two part movie. I would not call this movie a masterpiece, but for what I was expecting, “Avengers: Infinity War” actually blew me away.