2018 Varsity Football Preview

Malvern’s varsity football team has high expectations for this season on the gridiron.

As summer comes to a close and fall begins, the Malvern Prep football season is underway. The team has loads of talent. Lead by Head Coach Dave Gueriera, and coming off of an Inter-Ac Championship season going 5-0 in the league, the Friars feel that they have a target on their backs.

“This year, everyone is trying to knock us off of the hill,” said Head Coach Dave Gueriera. He also says the friars are the “hunted” team of the Inter-Ac.

The players on the Malvern Prep football team have been hard at work throughout the summer.

Official practices began on August 13, although most players started to prepare before then. According to Gueriera, there were two “mini camps,” and a series of four practices that many players attended in June and July.

The schedule for this year is tough, with matchups including Lasalle College High School (Malvern W 35-23) and Berks Catholic High School (Malvern W 42-32), along with the regular five Inter-Ac league games.

“Each team we play this year has different strengths, all of them will present different challenges.” says Gueriera.

Senior linebacker, running back, and wide receiver Keith Maguire has high expectations for this year’s team.

“This year we have the best team I’ve been on at Malvern,” said Maguire. He expects “nothing less than an Inter-Ac championship this year”. Gueriera expects a lot of some key players on this year’s roster, including Keith Maguire, Lonnie White, Drew Gunther, Quincy Watson, and Jake Hornibrook.

Sophomore Lonnie White, also believes in this year’s team.

“I expect us to go undefeated this season,” said White.