Malvern hires Ms. Danielle Suber as Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Suber’s hiring is the first of its kind at Malvern, as the school looks to push forward with its mission for diversity.

Suber may be new to Malvern Prep, but she’s no stranger. Suber’s application for Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion was actually the second time that she looked for a job at the school, something inspired by Malvern’s mission and how the community shows that mission.

“The people’s sense of community, the friendliness, the love that I’ve experienced in the days I’ve been here, it’s really been a rewarding experience,” she said.

Suber’s goal is to expand upon that mission, and get it to come to life within Malvern through her work in diversity.

“The number one thing that I want to ensure is that every student, no matter what their background is, they feel comfortable here… that [they’re] supported by the entire Malvern community to live a genuine life,” she said.

That work, Suber notes, has already been taking place through the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEI Committee) in previous years prior to her arrival. Despite this, progress still needs to be made.

“There some amazing things that have happened thus far, with the work that the DEI committee has had prior to me coming aboard, as well as the work of a number of other individuals across the leadership team, and really student leaders and a number of different things that they’ve done has been phenomenal,” she said. “I think we do have some ways to go.”

Mr. Leroi Leviston, a member of the DEI Committee and Learning Support Specialist, agrees that while his team has made progress, Suber’s arrival is something that can push Malvern forward.

“There is a committee in place to help gather ideas and, and like do things together, but you also need a coach, a person who has kind of done this work before,” he said. “I think it’s important that if there’s a DEI coordinator in whatever space that it should be their sole job; that’s what they do on campus.”

Sean McCarthy ’21, a member of the Diversity Club who was involved in the interviewing process, believes that Suber’s arrival means that Malvern students can begin to feel comfortable in their own school.

“Every student deserves to be able to walk onto campus each day and have the ability to be their full selves. Every student deserves to feel that they belong and are valued in our community,” he said. “Having a DEI Director is a major step forward to help advance all of these goals.”

Leviston, who came to Malvern in 2018, has noted that he’s seen progress made over the past few years, though Malvern has room to work.

“On the student perspective, it’s interesting because I feel like it’s gotten a little bit better since I arrived in 2018. I don’t think we’re there yet, but I think we’re getting there like I just think it’s a long process that’s not going to happen in a year or like even two,” he said.

While Suber believes that her job has few concrete goals to reach, most of her work is based upon continuous change and improvement.

“Malvern, as with any institution, about diversity, equity, inclusion work is always a moving needle, it’s not necessarily a stop when you’re there,” she said. 

Despite this, Suber does note that there are some certain checkpoints that she’d like to see the school reach.

“A diverse, equitable, and inclusive Malvern would be a place where we see physical representation of students of all different types of backgrounds,” she said. “I think in five years, seeing more students of color on campus would be an indicator we’re moving in the right direction.” 

For McCarthy, reaching that level of diversity is what can unify both Malvern and the world.

“We are all part of one human community, and our diversity is one of our greatest strengths,” he said. “We will never fully live up to our potential as a society until everyone is treated with justice and dignity.”