Malvern Hockey: CONFIDENCE

In the world of Malvern Prep, at least for the past couple of years, hockey has taken the back-burner, and sometimes rightfully so, to other sports. However, this year, there is almost a certain buzz around campus about the start of hockey season this year and the chances the team has to return to the Flyers Cup and perhaps return to the glory years of Malvern Hockey.

Although there was some excitement last year for the High School Holiday Classic, held at Citizens Bank Park, this year the team feels like they have the best chance in a while to be strong contenders against the almighty LaSalle as well as solid teams from Saint Joe’s Prep, Holy Ghost Prep, and Father Judge. Already, Malvern has defeated two of top teams in the league en route to a 4-0 start, the best since 2005, the last time Malvern won a State Championship in Boys’ Ice Hockey.

Led by a strong senior class this year, and a new coach, Jeff Cameron, who previously coached at Rustin, the hockey team has dominated offensively in every league game played so far. On November 21st, Malvern defeated rival Saint Joseph’s Prep and a week later defeated a very solid Holy Ghost Prep Team. Seven out of the top 10 leaders in points so far this year in the entire AAA league are on Malvern Prep and there is some serious talent on the team. The offense is led by Kevin McGeary, who at the time of this writing is leading the league in both goals and points, as well as Patrick Porkka, captain of the team, and Wil Kay. On the defensive side we have both Mick Horrocks and Michael Churchvara, both with 6 points, the most for any defensemen in the league. Additionally, Pasquale DiFillipo has been excellent so far for the Friars, making some acrobatic saves in net. Look for his save percentage and GAA to improve as the season goes on.

Overall, I think that we have a great chance this year to do something special with this team. I’d like to take the chance to thank everybody who has come out so far to support the team as it really means a lot to us, and to remind everyone that we play a very talented Father Judge team this Friday night, December 14th, at 8PM.