Lacrosse Team Achieves Perfection

Varsity lacrosse goes 24-0, wins Inter-Ac Invitational

It was quite the season for the members of this year’s varsity lacrosse team. The Friars went 24-0 on the season, including an Inter-Ac Title and a championship at the Inter-Ac Invitational. After being ranked the #19 team in the country (according to Inside Lacrosse), they will finish at #3 overall, behind Maryland powerhouse Boys Latin and Indiana school Culver Academy.

The road to an undefeated season was not an easy one. The team had to overcome seven one goal games, including overtime wins against Avon Grove, Episcopal, and Haverford. The Friars finished 10-0 in league play and won 11 out of conference games during the regular season. Furthermore, the out of conference schedule was extremely difficult. The first two games of the season were against Loyola Blakefield (MD) and St. Mary’s (MD). They also had to take down Salesianum, La Salle, and Saint Augustine Prep. The season all culminated in a one goal game at Cabrini College. In a back and forth game, the Friars were able to defeat Haverford 10-9, for the third time that season.

The senior-laden team was led by many veteran players, as well as a few newcomers. Greg Pelton, who was named an Under Armour All American, had a shutdown season playing both close defense and long-stick middie. Pelton was ranked as the #4 senior in the country going in to the year, and certainly lived up to expectations. Fellow senior Ryder Harkins and junior Mike Mulqueen anchored the rest of the starting defense, who held opponents to very few scoring opportunities. Senior Chris Isenberg was unstoppable at the long-stick midfield position, often covering the opponents’ top midfielder.

Joining the defenders was goalie Carson Cocco. Cocco had been in the shadows of Malvern alumni Matt Barrett, who is now the starting goaltender at the University of Virginia. Cocco stepped in to the vacant spot and earned the starting job, and finished the year victoriously. Cocco was strong all year, but the ten saves he made against Haverford in the Inter-Ac Invitational Championship Game earned him MVP Honors.

Offensively, senior Sparky Hilburn provided veteran leadership to the attack unit, scoring goals, dishing out assists, and initiating dodges. Hilburn hustled all over the field and played an integral role in the Friar offense. He was joined by sophomores Adam Goldner and Kyle Anderson. Goldner had many clutch performances this year, including the game winner against Avon Grove. Goldner has one of the faster shots on the team, and scored an unbelievable goal from his back in the Inter-Ac Championship Game. Anderson, a transfer from Downingtown West, quickly made an impact in his first year at Malvern, leading the team in points.

The midfield was led offensively by three seniors; Conor Glancy, Kevin McGeary, and Tripp Traynor. Glancy made the switch from attack to midfield for this season. The short-stick defensive midfield unit was led by junior Drew Schantz, who was all over the field clearing the ball, playing defense, and even scoring. He was joined by fellow junior Ryan Antell, and sophomores Jarrett Donaghy and Will Powers. Charles Kelly took almost every faceoff, and did an outstanding job, winning around 75% of his faceoffs on the year. Kelly’s role was especially important, as it kept the ball with the dangerous Friar offense.

The whole team was able to join together for an incredible undefeated season. At every position, Malvern was extremely talented, and the bond among the players helped to create what has to be described as a perfect season. Though it wasn’t easy, Head Coach John McEvoy, his staff, and all the players were able to cement their names in Malvern sports history.

View Comments (1)