Mr. Frank Ryan: A Long Tenure of Love for Malvern

[button link=”http://www.malvernprep.org/pages/about/news/retirement_ryan” newwindow=”yes”] See this story at malvernprep.org[/button]

Mr. Ryan has so many favorite memories of Malvern that he can’t choose just one.

frank 1
Mr. Ryan / Malvern Communications

Mr. Frank Ryan has been a beloved member of the Malvern staff for over 40 years. Driven by a love for the school, and for the community on campus, he taught a variety of subjects. His long tenure of teaching and coaching is coming to an end, however, as he is retiring at the end of this school year. Mr. Ryan is sure to be missed by everyone who has known him in his time at Malvern.

ZC: Why did you first come to Malvern Prep?

FR: I was first hired in 1970 as a teacher and coach.

ZC: How long have you worked at Malvern?

FR: I taught 39 years.

ZC: What positions have you held?

FR:  I taught Afro-Asian Studies, AP US History and US History.  I also served as Dean of Students from 1980-1990, and Athletic Director from 1990-2003.

ZC: Who was your favorite person to work with and why?

FR: I worked for two great bosses, Fr. Duffy and Jim Stewart.

ZC: What’s your favorite memory of Malvern?

FR: I had many fond memories of my time at Malvern. It would not be fair to pick one, but in my time here it was the relationships that I developed that were special –  with Fr. Duffy, Stew, Steve Valyo, Paul Hornsleth and many others. Every person is different, but if you remain positive good things can happen. You have true and respected friends. I was a kid from Chester when I  first came but eventually Malvern became like famlly. If you believe in what an institution stands for, you become part of it.

ZC: What did you think of Middle School Cross Country?

FR: I enjoyed Middle School Cross Country.

And a few more questions for Mr. Ryan:

Q: I hear you will be elected into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame! What sports did you play in high school? Did you play in college?

FR:  Yes, I am being inducted into Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame, Delaware County Chapter, not sure what that means, but I will find out at the dinner on June 22. I went to St. James High School (which is now closed), where I played football (Second Team All-State), basketball, and baseball (All-Catholic ). I earned a scholarship to Duke University where I played football and baseball.

Q: What would you tell a young teacher who is just starting out at Malvern?

FR: I would tell a young teacher to work hard on the courses she or he is teaching, to be yourself, and to be involved.

Q: What are the things that are most dear to your heart?

FR: Close to my heart are my kids and grandkids, and the people who have taken the time to remember me since I’ve been sick – that is what Malvern is all about.

View Comments (6)