Interstellar takes audiences out of this world

After Inception and the Dark Knight Trilogy, Christopher Nolan brings forth his latest feature film.

InterstellarInterstellar is many things, but one thing it is not is boring.

The film initially focuses around Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) and his two children, Murphy and Tom. The earth is on the verge of extinction, and after discovering a secret NASA base, Cooper is invited to take a journey of a lifetime to save the human race.

Interstellar succeeds in many areas. Its ensemble cast is nothing short of fantastic. The scale of the film is so epic that one would assume it would lack an intimate feel, but that certainly is not the case. Even though he is miles, light years, and galaxies away, Cooper still displays his love and compassion for his children. Love, in the film, is depicted as something (perhaps the only thing) that transcends time and space.

In addition, the film has an exemplary score from Hans Zimmer. He assists Nolan in keeping the loving tone amidst the epic scale of the film. Finally, the visuals were superb. Shot in IMAX, the film takes its audience off of Earth’s surface and into the great unknown.

While the many pluses of the film may make it seem infallible, it is flawed. The main issue is that the film is too smart for its own good. Because it is very sci-fi heavy and resembles 2001: A Space Odyssey, those who aren’t particularly entertained by so much science might dislike the film.

Interstellar is a step in the right direction as far as visual effects, score, and performances go, but its convoluted storyline may prove to be too tedious for some to enjoy the experience fully.

Grade: B+