Alex Hornibrook commits to Wisconsin

Jack Marchesani

On January 12, Alex Hornibrook ’15 announced via Twitter that he university-wisconsinwould no longer be playing football at the University of Pittsburgh.

Alex committed to begin enrollment at Pitt in the second semester of his high school senior.  According to Head of Guidance Mr. Paul Simpson, he was the first Malvern student in 24 years to do so.

“Beyond excited to announce that I have committed and will enroll early at the University of Wisconsin. On Wisconsin!” Alex tweeted, just 30 minutes after his announcement to decommit from Pitt.

Echoed in tweet responses, the Malvern community rallied around Alex and his decision. Former teammate Hayden Mahoney ’15 (committed to play football at the University of Miami) said, “I think it’s a great decision and a great move on his part. Wisconsin’s a great place football and great academically. I know he’s happy there so I feel good about that.”

Alex will begin enrollment at Wisconsin in the spring 2015 semester. Currently 11-3, Wisconsin has a strong football program, that will hopefully be made stronger by the addition of Hornibrook.

Many have speculated that Hornibrook’s decision resulted from former Pitt Head Coach Paul Chryst’s recent decision to head the University of Wisconsin’s football program.

Aaron Brady, Malvern Prep football head coach and Alex’s former coach, said, “Alex had an incredible relationship with Coach Chryst.  It led him to commit to him at Pitt.  When the opportunity came about to follow him to UW it made a lot of sense.  Wisconsin is an incredible academic institution and they are part of the Big Ten conference.”

The sentiment here at Malvern seems to be faithful support for Alex’s decision. Former teammate Trevor Morris ’15 – committed to play football at Rutgers – said, “It’s a good move on his behalf, as long as he is happy with it. Because at the end of the day it, comes down to you, your family, and God.”