Empty Bowls Updates

Visit Malvern Prep Empty Bowls

The Ceramics Studio has been abuzz the last few months in preparation for Empty Bowls this January. Students from Ms. Plows’s ceramics classes and homeroom have been throwing, trimming, and glazing bowls since the start of the school year, and have been working furiously the past few weeks to make Empty Bowls a great event.

We have also had open studios on Saturdays which have been a huge success, making over 125 bowls one weekend. Students, parents, alumni, and the occasional first time ceramists have gathered to help with Empty Bowls.

Alumni participant Chris Boles, ‘11 said, “I have been working with Empty Bowls at Malvern since the first year Malvern started hosting the event, in all the years and Open Studios we have had, I have never seen more people, excitement, or energy in the studio.”

Jon Heisler, MP ’12, brought his younger sister Gretchen to Saturday’s Open Studio.  They glazed bowls together at the studio tables.  Heisler noted, “The open studios are a great way to get more people involved with the program. The community effort for Empty Bowls makes it very special.”

Empty Bowls has a few more Open Studios, and for a complete schedule, check out our website at www.mpemptybowls.org.

With our current bowl count at right around 500, we are still behind our quota from last year, and we can use as much help as we can to continue with Empty Bowls’ great success. Anyone with experience in throwing and trimming is greatly welcomed at 9th periods and Open Studios, and even people with no experience can drop in and paint or learn to throw. The whole point of Empty Bowls is for students to use their gifts for the service of others, and we need as much help as we can get.

Come support Empty Bowls and make sure to come to the event on January 21, 2013 – Martin Luther King Day!