Middle School to perform Shrek the Musical Jr.

Shrek the Musical Jr

On May 15th and 16th the middle schoolers are telling us (once more) of our childhood friend Shrek and Fiona.
    Middle school students were told about the play during a Monday chapel service and received an email regarding the play. The email described the play as a “high energy show, full of colorful characters.”

According to Dr. Fry, after bouncing ideas off of the production team, they decided on something with, “great music, and a name that is recognizable by all.” Auditions for the play wrapped up around March 10th.

“When I was first picked for Shrek I was overjoyed,” said Jacob Springer ‘19. “Donkey (played by Chase Sakers ‘19) is really awesome. The chemistry between him and me is really awesome.”

“With the character part I’ve tried to get as much Scottish in Shrek as I can,” said Springer. His favorite song in the show is Travel Song.

Villa Maria Academy’s Molly Sorenson ’19 will play Fiona. The first time that Fiona is seen on stage, she has just been kidnapped at age seven. Later in the show Fiona is a teen, and then an adult. Molly is the oldest of the three ages of Fiona.

“It’s always a really nerve-racking experience,” said Sorensen about waiting for the announcement of her role. “But I trusted the judgement of the directors.”

Molly has been acting for the Middle School play since sixth grade. “My friends talked about it and my brothers go to Malvern. Auditioning was probably one of the best decisions I’ve made,” she said. “Fiona isn’t really like any other princess I’ve seen on T.V. and movies. She’s independent, a little rough around the edges and maybe a tiny bit crazy.”

There will also be no lip-syncing, said Mr. Jonathan Springer, the Middle School Music teacher and play director. “We will work with the talent we have.”

Dr. Jim Fry, who directs the show, commented, “The students involved in the productions, past and present, are all super talented.”

“[The play] is super fun,” said Chris Krein ’21, who plays a soldier.

“It’s a challenge I’m up for,” said Sorensen.