New season brings new faces to Friar football

Incoming transfers will play key positions for the football team this season.

Doyle, Janney, Glavin, Maras / M. Droogan

Quarterbacks Nick Maras ’17 and Kevin Doyle ’18 have to fill the void left by former quarterback Alex Hornibrook ’15 in their first season at Malvern.

Along with Maras and Doyle, junior OL-DL Jake Glavin and junior TE-DE Seth Janney are also new faces who will have prominent roles on the team.

Nick Maras grew up in Wilson, Pennsylvania and enrolled at Episcopal Academy in 7th grade when he moved to the area. “I decided freshman year that I wanted to transfer to Malvern,” said Maras. “But I didn’t get accepted until this year.”

“He has come in and accepted his role as leader, said Head Coach Aaron Brady on Maras. “Being the new guy is tough, especially coming from Inter-Ac school EA.”

Although Maras is looking forward to playing EA, he will have to wait until next year. According to Article VIII Section 2 of the Inter Academic Athletic League (IAAL) Constitution, if someone is transferring from one IAAL school to another and competed in at least one Varsity game they are ineligible to play in Varsity IAAL games the following year.

Maras said he was a backup for EA and only got a little playing time there.

Kevin Doyle, a possible replacement for the Inter-Ac games, also transferred from a local school. He went to Bishop Shanahan in Downingtown his freshman year but felt like it wasn’t the best fit.

“I knew kids on the football and they approached me and said ‘if you’re not happy look at Malvern,” Doyle said. “I then met Coach Brady through USA football and that’s when I first looked at Malvern.”

Doyle also plans on playing for the basketball team in the winter.

Seth Janney knew Coach Brady well before he came to Malvern. Brady and Janney’s dad were childhood friends and Brady graduated from the same high school that Janney transferred from, Southwestern High School in Hanover, PA.

“Aaron [Brady] was a family friend of ours and when I wanted to switch schools Malvern seemed like a good fit” Janney said.

Brady said Janney’s transfer was a touchy subject. “I didn’t want my hometown to think I poached him, because obviously they miss him now. But I’m glad he’s here,” he said.

Although Janney will be playing on the football team first, wrestling also played a big factor in his decision to come here. The stronger academics and the community feel also brought him to Malvern, he said.

Jake Glavin transferred from Loyalsock Township High School in Williamsport. His dad influenced Glavin to come to Malvern. Glavin’s dad, Michael Glavin ’78, played football at Malvern. “When my family moved to the area for my dad’s work, Malvern was the first place I looked at,” Glavin said.

“Jake also looked at The Haverford School but his dad playing football here was the big tie-in,” Brady said. Jake said that he is also considering doing shot put for the Track and Field team in the spring.

All four guys singled out the good team chemistry as a big factor in making their transition to Malvern easier. Brady attributes this chemistry to the time spent practicing together over the summer and the trip Chicago.

“The Chicago trip really brought the team together,” Janney said. “One difference from last year’s team is that we play together as a unit.”

They all have a common goal of winning the Inter-Ac this year. “We also want to beat Lasalle and [St. Joe’s] Prep.” said Maras.

Malvern started off the year 2-0 with two convincing victories against St. Rita’s and then Holy Spirit. Maras was a big part of the win against St. Rita’s, throwing for 335 yards and three touchdowns, setting the single-game team passing yards record.

However, Maras attributes his performance to his teammates. “I was really nervous going into the game but I knew I have a really good offensive line and your defense is ridiculous.” Maras said.

Brady shares in his players’ high aspirations. “We have high expectations for the season. We want to win the Inter-Ac,” he said.