Activities Fair features array of opportunities

On September 12, the Upper School held their annual activities fair in the O’Neill Center. It is a time for the Upper School students to sign up for various activities ranging anywhere from Latin Club to Bowling Club to Yearbook to Theatre. This year, there were over 40 activities to choose from in five categories: sports/recreational, arts, service, literary, and academics.  There is such a diverse group of activities; it’s impossible not to find one that fits you.

I had the opportunity to speak to Mr. Fry, the activities director, about this year’s activities fair. He sets the list for activities and plans the fair. I asked him why the activities fair was important.  He replied, “The Activities Fair is important because it allows students to sign up for activities that they want to be involved in throughout the school year.”  He added, ” Here at Malvern we hope that everyone can develop as they can into a well rounded person.”

This year, Malvern is welcoming three new activities: Horticultural Society, World Affairs Club, and Malvern Prep Dance Crew. The Horticultural Society with Mr. Cheatle, Mr, McGuire, and Mr. Stewart is a club where students plant and grow vegetables on campus and promote agriculture.  This club got started early this fall with plowing and tilling a garden space near the lacrosse wall.  The World Affairs Club is back after not being around for a few years. In the World Affairs Club, students participate in a model Senate to learn about different countries and their stance on current affairs. The Malvern Prep Dance Crew has received a lot of buzz for being co-ed with the girls of Notre Dame Academy. In this club, students get a chance to learn dance from both an athletic and arts perspective.

Many ongoing clubs continue to be popular. The Malvern Intramurals program continues to grow with the new addition of the mini-lacrosse league, and basketball returning in the spring. The Outdoors Club with Mrs. Lewis received more than 60 people interested in hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, and survival skills. The Malvern Theatre Society remains popular for both acting and stage crew, both co-ed activities.  Academic Competition with Mrs. Gordon stole the show, though, with 90 students signing up.  We are confident that many of those 90 will be dedicated enough to show up at 7:30 on many mornings for practice, and we wish them the best.

The Activities Fair is a great opportunity to find what interests you and be a member of a club. If you missed a sign-up and you still want to be in a club, it’s not too late! E-mail the club moderator for details about the club and meeting times.  Shameless plug – we need more reporters for the Friar’s Lantern.  Contact Tom Verdi or any of the editors for more details.  Get involved, Malvern!