Oh I Wanna Dance with Somebody: Friar’s Lantern investigates the new Malvern Dance Crew

In the words of T.I, “Alright, okay, I don’t dance, no way.” Well the reality of the situation is that you’re not T.I and whether it’s Prom, homecoming or some distant relative’s wedding, we all love to dance. Wouldn’t you like to impress all your friends and family members with some newly found rhythm? Well now you can. In case you haven’t heard, one of Malvern’s newest clubs is the Malvern Dance Crew (MDC). Mrs. Devenney, the head of MDC, has been given the task of turning everyday Malvern students into dancing machines. With her Dance Degree from Towson University as well as experience teaching football and lacrosse players from Broadneck High School in Annapolis Maryland how to dance, she is more than qualified for the job. I had the opportunity to catch up with Mrs. Devenney to talk to her about MDC.

FL: What are your expectations for the Malvern Dance Crew?

Mrs. D: I believe once guys are exposed to dance they realize it is more fun than expected and harder than it looks!  In many ways dance is like a sport, but don’t get me wrong, it is an art form.  Dance is subjective. There are no winners or losers. The audience either appreciates it or does not. But as far as the comparison to athletics, dance works on footwork, balance, flexibility, body awareness, speed, coordination, and teamwork.  Of course a big difference is in dance while doing all of these athletic abilities a dancer must make it look easy and fluid!

FL: Why do you think MDC is a good club for Malvern students?

Mrs. D: After first working with the Malvern students during the spring musical, Mr. Fry realized the guys got a kick out (pun intended) of learning dance. We brainstormed and came up with the idea of making dance an actual club. As far as I know, Malvern Prep is the first all-male school to have such a club. I have been at Academy of Notre Dame for nine years directing the high school dance company.  The dancers I have are experienced and well-trained performers. The one aspect of dance they are missing is actually dancing with male partners, so this is a win-win situation. The guys get to learn dance and the girls get to work with guys. I believe it’s actually a double win for the guys because they get to learn dance AND dance with girls!

FL:  What do you have to say to Malvern students who are thinking about joining the MDC?

Mrs. D: If you are at all interested you should give it a try.  For the most part, once you get past the idea that “dance is for girls” or “it’s too artsy” you actually enjoy performing with Malvern Dance Crew!  I say take the chance, be a leader…in a few years you will look back and see the group has taken off and you will be able to say I was part of the original Dance Crew!

FL:  Dancing movie to watch: Step Up or Footloose?

Mrs. D: Both!! Any dance movie is worth watching!

I also talked with Chad Rafferty (senior) about why he joined MDC. “I joined because obviously if anyone has seen me at the homecoming dance they know I go hard. Also, I was not able to do the dance with Notre Dame last spring because of lacrosse so I thought since I have time this fall I would do it.”

Sources confirm that Chad does in fact “go hard” at dances when last year his prom pants ripped while busting a move.

If you are interested in joining MDC or have any questions at all please feel free to contact Mrs. Devenney. This is a great opportunity to have fun while trying something new.