Boehner gone, no replacement in sight

John Boehner resigned as Speaker of the House on September 25, opening up the role of Speaker.

“It’s going to take a very charismatic person who can compromise and can get people to compromise to do that job,” said Captain Robert Boyce, Chemistry and Physics teacher.

“John Boehner had wanted to step down for the past year,” AP Government teacher Mrs. Harriet Lappas said. “The same Tea Party members who put him in power were putting so much pressure on him to constantly take a harder line with President Obama and the Democrats.”

Boehner originally planned on announcing his resignation on November 17, according to CNN, but his meeting with the Pope inspired him to do it earlier.

“The Pope repeatedly called for dialogue and collaboration despite differences of opinion,” Mrs. Jessica Kenworthey, Theology teacher, said. “Perhaps Boehner simply felt that a fresh approach was needed to try to unify all the different voices within the Republican party.”

The Republican leadership originally backed Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy of California to be Speaker, but he dropped from the race on October 8, saying that the Party needed a fresh face to lead, and that he “was not the guy”, according to The New York Times.

Now, the Republican establishment looks to Ways and Means Chair Paul Ryan of Wisconsin to be the Speaker. However, Ryan has said that he does not want to be Speaker, but is “open” to running, according to The Hill.

“Paul Ryan has his ideal job as Chair of House Ways and Means Committee,” Lappas said. “He is comfortable where he is, and I don’t think he will want to give that up.”

Not all Republicans want Paul Ryan to be Speaker, however. The House Freedom Caucus, a group of 36 Tea Party Republicans, has backed Daniel Webster of Florida for the position. This endorsement, which was given on October 7, is believed to be a reason for McCarthy’s withdrawal, according to Politico.

Mrs. Lappas said that some other possible speaker candidates include Jason Chaffetz, a Republican from Utah who Lappas said is more confrontational. Also, Fred Upton, a Michigan Republican, is a possible candidate who Lappas said is more moderate, so he will face challenges from the right.

Captain Boyce said that although Republicans didn’t like him all too well, the House may realize that Boehner was better than the next Speaker will prove to be.

“The devil you know is better than the devil you do not know,” Boyce said. “The House may realize that the next speaker is more dictatorial with his decisions.”