Trailer Review: Suicide Squad

Itching so much for the August 2016 release that I had to sit down and review a trailer that was released five months ago…

After spending time filming the highly anticipated superhero movie Suicide Squad together, Will Smith told Beats Radio 1, he has yet to meet Jared Leto because he stayed in his “Joker” character the whole time.

Suicide Squad will not be your average superhero movie. The cast is full of A-list actors including Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Ben Affleck, Viola Davis, and more.

In the movie, the government gathers a group of supervillains. They are “the worst of the worst.” The government hopes to enlist them to take on the most difficult, dangerous, and deadly missions around. And that’s about all we know so far…

The three minute preview reveals very little about the plot, but introduces a lot of characters and many themes that the movie will explore. Viola Davis’s character Amanda Waller says “getting people to act against their own self interest is what I do for a living.” But is just punishment for these villains to force them into these suicide missions? In the trailer, Will Smith’s character Deadshot asks “So that’s it, huh? We’re the patsies. We’re some kind of suicide squad?”

The trailer is fantastic. Perfectly edited. Once the members of the squad are introduced a haunting and opera-esque cover of the Beejee’s “I Started a Joke” plays. Each character is introduced in a manner which portrays them as insane, yet lovable.

Clips of meaningful dialogue are immediately followed by intense scenes of gunshots, car chases, and hand to hand combat.

Cara Delevingne’s character Enchantress who is projected as the movie’s ultimate “bad guy” is shown briefly in dark scenes where a frightened demeanor hints that some sort of dark spirit has over taken her, possibly like how the government overtook the squad.

The movie takes place in the same universe as Batman, as both are part of DC Comics. Ben Affleck is a part of the cast according to IMDB, but is not explicitly seen in the trailer. There are flashes of people wearing cheap Batman costumes, however. Pictures from the set have also shown Batman in the film. How Batman will actually fit into the movie is still a big question though.

The trailer ends introducing the most anticipated character. Jared Leto will be the first to act as the “Joker” since Heath Ledger’s performance in The Dark Knight. Leto’s appearance in the trailer is a bit terrifying. The face that Leto gives the camera at the very end stares straight into your soul. You will probably see that face when you are lying in bed at night.

Overall, this trailer is a 6/5. It is a huge home run. Can trailers win Oscars?

Seriously, I was able to write this much about a three minute trailer.

Suicide Squad is released August 4 2016.
    You know where I will be August 4 2016 at midnight.