Back to the Future Day: Video chats yes, self-tying laces no

October 21, 2015 was Back to the Future Day. Did the world live up to this much-anticipated, historic day?

Almost 30 years after the production of Back to the Future II, America and the rest of the world got to celebrate Back to the Future Day, which occurred on October 21. Hover boards, flying cars, video chat, Pepsi Perfect; these are some of the things that Back to the Future Day entailed, most of which came true. However, most of us are still wishing for the flying cars and hover boards that are less than 10,000 dollars.

October 21, 2015, was the day Marty, Doc Brown and Jennifer traveled to in the movie. The Back to the Future Day hype enthralled America. For example, Pepsi released the Pepsi Perfect bottles used in the movie, and Nike introduced a replica of the sweet shoes Marty wore in the future, except without the self-tying laces.

Some avid fans from Malvern also dove into Back to the Future Day. Junior RJ Napoli dressed up as Marty McFly for the annual Halloween contest. He was pretty excited for October 21.

“There were a whole bunch of things they did for it,” Napoli said. “It was also the only day I could dress up as Marty McFly and not look out of the ordinary.”

He also had some criticism for how we handled this day.

“There was a ton of hype for it, but I thought that they could have done more for it.“

He also thinks we could’ve gotten further technologically.

“The interview with Michael J. Fox (Back in Time) hit it spot on – we could’ve gotten further in technology, with the flying cars and stuff like that, but we put all of our focus into building handheld devices for our own personal use,” Napoli said.

Senior Ted Holleran is also an avid Back to the Future fan, and he was pleased with how America received Back to the Future Day.

“There were a lot more people that received it than I thought, and it was much bigger than I thought it would be,” Holleran said.

So what will the world be like in the next 30 years? Who knows, but hopefully there will be flying cars and self-tying shoelaces to satisfy the Back to the Future fans who were a little disappointed in not seeing some of their favorite objects from the movie available on the market.