What You Missed – Jan. 4-11, 2016

After a bit of a break, we’re back with five fresh new stories that you need to know.

[toggle title =”Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman captured” state=”close”]

Mexican drug lord Joaquin Guzman, known as “El Chapo”, was recaptured by Mexican authorities in a compound in his home state of Sinaloa on Friday, after a shootout with Mexican marines that killed five and wounded one marine.

Guzman, who runs the Sinaloa drug cartel, escaped from Mexico’s highest-security prison through a mile long tunnel in July, leading to embarrassment for the Mexican government and a search effort by both the United States and Mexico.

In a strange turn of events, a September interview with Guzman by Hollywood actor Sean Penn two months ago and published in Rolling Stone magazine tipped off Mexican authorities to where Guzman was in October.

[/toggle]

[toggle title =”North Korea tests hydrogen bomb” state=”close”]

North Korean officials on Wednesday claimed “spectacular success” in a nuclear test in the northeast of the country, and claimed that it was a hydrogen bomb.

However, US officials are skeptical of the claims that it was a hydrogen bomb, as White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said that an initial analysis by intelligence agencies is “not consistent with North Korean claims.”

In response to the reported test, the US flew a B-52 bomber over South Korea on Sunday in a show of force, and the South resumed playing propaganda over the demilitarized zone, leading the North to threaten war.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Powerball reaches #1.3 billion for Wednesday” state=”close”]

The Powerball lottery has reached a world record $1.3 billion jackpot for Wednesday’s drawing, after no one won in Saturday’s drawing.

The odds of winning have been reported to be at one in 292.2 million, due to the different number combinations someone could have on their card. The odds do not change depending on how many people take out cards.

The next biggest lottery in the US was in March 2012 at $656 million, far lower than the jackpot for Wednesday.

The cost of a singular ticket is $2.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Doctors Without Borders hospital attacked in Yemen” state=”close”]

Four people were killed, ten were wounded, and several buildings collapsed after a Doctors Without Borders hospital was attacked in northern Yemen, making it the third one attacked in three months in Yemen.

Doctors Without Borders, better known as Médecins Sans Frontières, is a medical charity that works in impoverished nations across the world. It has also continuously put out the coordinates of where they operate to both sides of the conflict. It is unknown why the hospital was struck.

Three of the people who were wounded in the bombing were Doctors Without Borders staff.

Yemen, which is embroiled in a sectarian civil war between Shia insurgents aided by Iran and the Sunni government aided by a Saudi-led coalition since 2015, has claimed over 2800 lives since the war began.

The Gulf State is not the only country where a Doctors Without Borders hospital has been attacked, as the US came under harsh criticism in October for hitting one of their hospitals in Afghanistan.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”David Bowie dies at 69″ state=”close”]

The glam rock star David Bowie died Sunday of cancer, just two days after releasing his latest album, and his birthday.

Bowie had released over 25 albums over his 40 year career, including singles such as “Space Oddity”, “Ziggy Stardust”, and “Changes”.

The news broke from his official Facebook page, which stated he died “surrounded by his family after an 18 month battle with cancer.”

He is survived by his wife Iman, 60, his daughter Alexandria, 15, and his son Duncan, 44.

[/toggle]