Football season opener at Georgetown cancelled

The Friars were set to play at Georgetown University but the Inter-Ac didn’t approve.

Head football coach Mr. Aaron Brady was set on getting the Friars to play a game in another major stadium for the second straight summer on August 27, 2016, but the Inter-Ac wasn’t having it.

“We were going to play a game at Georgetown University because I used to coach there, but [the Inter-Ac] had a vote and decided that we couldn’t play that early,” Brady said.

“[August 27th] is supposed to be a scrimmage date”, Athletic Director Kurt Ruch said. The Inter-Ac set that date as a scrimmage date prior to the scheduling of the Georgetown game. “We went to the league for clarification, you’re not allowed to play a game, it had to be a scrimmage”, Ruch also said.

The football team’s trip to Chicago last year was a huge success. The team got to visit the Professional Football Hall of Fame and played at Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears.

“The game against St. Rita’s was a nice tune-up for us to get ready for the season,” Sean Grady ’17. “The trip was also a good bonding moment for the whole team to grow closer.”

The Inter-Ac’s vote against the Georgetown opener will be the second time this school year that the league has denied Coach Brady. The league also declined to allow junior transfer Nick Maras to participate in Inter-Ac play in the 2015 season.

The team was disappointed by the news about their game. “We were all really excited to play another game like the Soldier field game, and the fact that the Georgetown game got cancelled upset a lot of us,” Grady said.

They are, however, staying positive and still look forward to the opportunity to play another game before most other teams will.

The game scheduled for that day will be a scrimmage against Gilman at home, according to Brady. Unfortunately, they will not be playing at a big time venue. This should be an interesting matchup for Coach Brady and the Friars.

“It would have been a great opportunity to play at Georgetown,” Mike Fay ’17 said. “However, another game will be scheduled for that date, and I believe we will be just as excited for that game.”