Classy and Inspirational

According to some old dude named Chaucer, all good things must come to an end. He was obviously talking about my reign as Editor-in-chief of the now notoriously awesome Black Friar Chronicle and Friar’s Lantern. What started as a plea to underclassmen and a barrage of mass emails, Malvern’s publications have blossomed into legen-waitforit-dary entities this past year. From scathing editorials about sugarless beverages to reports on Miss “Oracle of Carney” Walsh’s trip to The Great Gatsby with a bunch of juniors, Malvern’s publications this year have brought together many amazing people who have done a lot of amazing journalism.

Some days were a struggle. Some days I’d rather be in the lounge. And some days, I admit, I’d be hiding in the lounge. Re-launching the newspaper wasn’t an easy task. Convincing students not to use the newspaper as napkins or paper snowflakes was tough, but our amazing staff pulled it off. The BFC and FL have some “street cred” for next year, as one of our staff writers put it (or maybe it was Ms. Plows). Either way, the editors, moderators, and staff worked long days, long nights, and early mornings to pull off an incredible revamping of a club that was in grave circumstances—with or without doughnuts.

The purpose of this write-up is more than a farewell or a goodbye. It’s a “thank you,” as well. Thanks to our readers, the staff, and everyone who helped support the paper and help it grow into what it has become. I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn’t be our style.  Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Ideas are bulletproof. Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

That previous paragraph doesn’t simply contain quotes from some of my favorite films. It contains words to live by. Peace, Malvern. It’s been real.