Step Up for Spirit Week

It’s that time of year again Malvern! No, I’m not talking about the beginning of senior slide. I’m talking about Spirit Week, and all of us on student council have some awesome activities planned. This is the one week of the year where you can leave the Sperry’s and pastel pants in the closet and dress down for FREE! Spirit Week starts on Friday October 4th, culminates on Thursday October 10th, and Homecoming occurs on Saturday October 12th.

To preview day by day, Friday will be the “Whatever You Want” theme for dress down and will also include the beginning of the always popular Grizzly Adams Competition. Take on 14 of your fellow lumberjacks to see who grows the bushiest beard to win a free shaving pass. Also don’t forget to sign up for the week long scavenger hunt at your lunch periods.

Be sure to find your red, white, and blue for the return of “America Day” on Monday. Then at 9th period, Malvern’s Fastest Kid will be crowned with a race on the track. You can satiate your hunger with a Chipotle gift card if you happen to cross the finish line first. Also keep your eyes peeled for the first clue of the scavenger hunt to try and win a free homecoming ticket.

Get ready for some soccer on the beach on Tuesday with the “Beach Day” theme. There will be FIFA to play on the flat screens in the caf at lunch, and the annual World Cup Tournament will take place on the turf following 8th period. If your team is the last one standing, you’ll pick up another Chipotle gift card perfect for the championship feast.

On Wednesday, don your favorite college colors and support your school for “College Day”. Once again at 9th period, channel your inner Alex Hornibrook and take on the QB Challenge. Toss a spiral into a trash can at distances of 10 yards, 20 yards, and 30 yards. The QB with the most points will be become the champion and will receive a Wawa gift card.

Finally the day every Friar has been waiting for: “Blue and Gray Day”. Following school, the primetime events begin. The inflatable obstacle course is returning along with your opportunity to dunk some of Malvern’s finest teachers and administrators into icy cold water. The battle between the classes in the tug-of-war is set to take place on the football field where this year’s seniors are looking to back up last year’s victory with another win.

Then come see if Caleb Kao can ride his signature sumo belly flop to another Biggest Splash Championship. In the O’Neill Gym, watch the brand new dunk contest and three point shootout go down. Finally look out for the “Best Facial Hair Award” to be presented sometime during the competition.

Remember Spirit Week only leads up to the excellent sports contests taking place on Saturday October 12th. The Water Polo, Soccer, and Football teams will all be in action so make a point to come out and support your fellow Friars. All these events lead up to Saturday night’s homecoming dance in O’Neill. So get pumped up Malvern and get ready to show your true colors while having tons of fun with your Malvernian brothers.