Malvern reacts to another new schedule

We asked a few students and faculty members on their thoughts on the fourth schedule in four years.

[ezcol_1fifth]

ludin

Jack Ludin ’17

Do you prefer this year’s or last year’s schedule and why?

I did really enjoy last years schedule, but this year’s schedule I do like because if I have a free period last period I can leave at two o’clock.

If you could change anything about the schedule, what would you change and why?

I would change community time because it should be after first period like last year. It helps kids get their homework done and do work for the day.

mcdonnell

Colin McDonnell ’19

Last year’s, definitely. Last year we had community time after first period and community time after break. A ton of kids would go into Stewart Hall and do homework or hang out, then get a snack when break starts. But now, no one will go there because there’s no reason to without break after it. So now the LC and gym are going to be way too crowded. I also miss the reverse C. It was great getting that extra hour of sleep in the morning. This year’s schedule is still good, but I liked last year’s much better.

I would definitely have the community time moved back to after first period. It’s just better for everyone, because if you’re struggling with a topic that you have third period you could see the teacher before. But now it’s much more inconvenient.

[/ezcol_1fifth] [ezcol_1fifth]

villano

Nick Villano ’18

I prefer last years schedule. Thirty minutes just doesn’t cut it [for community time]. You can’t talk to teachers for a really in-depth conversation. It’s really hard to get that in. As well as clubs are really hard to fit it in.

I would change the length of community time. This doesn’t affect me, but I find that other kids have trouble with having specialty homerooms at eight o’clock because they come into school and they can’t get anything else done. LIke if they have to ask a question to a teacher and come in early, they have to rush.

giordani

Mrs. Susan Giordani

This year. Much better. I like the fact that there are two breaks to the day and they are separated. That break and community time are not together. I love, love, love the fact that community time is towards the end of the day. Because kids instead of doing the work to get it done before class, they’re being proactive and doing it for the next class.

So far nothing, I really like it.

[/ezcol_1fifth] [ezcol_1fifth]

mcgill

Gavin McGill ’19

Last year’s schedule, because I can’t focus on school work when it’s right before fifth period.

I would either take out community time and get out early, or make it after first period again.

kime

Ms. Diane Kime

I hate this year’s schedule. Last year’s schedule was a lot better – for the food staff especially. We have break way earlier that we have to be ready for just an hour after breakfast. Lunches are a lot sooner as well and it just seems we’re always crunched for time.

Everything. I think we should scrap it and go back to the old schedule we had last year.

[/ezcol_1fifth] [ezcol_1fifth]

rushton

Sean Rushton ’19

I prefer this year’s schedule, but I feel that we should not have community time

We should just start fifth period right after fourth so we end school at 2:25 instead of 3:10.

chiazza

Brandon Chiazza ’17

Do you Prefer this year’s or last years schedule and why?

I don’t really like this schedule. I feel like a lot of the free time is wasted because it is spread out. I can’t dive into any of my work at open time because it seems as soon as I get my books out I need to repack and head to class.

I would make community time the full 50 minutes again or do away with it altogether so students can get home faster to start their homework or get to away sports games and not miss class.

[/ezcol_1fifth] [ezcol_1fifth_end]

swan

Jack Swan ’19

I liked the schedule last year because community time was in the morning after first period, so if I forgot to do homework for a class or I needed to print something out I had time in the morning before class to do that. Having community time in the afternoon, I feel like I don’t use it as much as I did last year.

I would put community time back after first period and make all lunch periods 25 minutes instead of 30, because nobody that I know eats for all 30 minutes. People normally eat for 15 minutes, then they just sit around and talk for the rest if the time.

burke

Mr. Andrew Burke

I like this year’s schedule better. I like the fact that we don’t have reverse C anymore, I did not care for them. I also understand that students are upset with community time being moved. I was able to use community time effectively, kids were able to take tests, get extra help, but I also feel that students waited to do their homework until community time that day. This year it’s not happening as much. It seems like kids are more prepared

I would either shorten homeroom, or change the way we do it – having more things happen during that period.

[/ezcol_1fifth_end]