Malvern changes active shooter protocol

ALiCE has been implemented as a new procedure to help keep teachers and students safe.

activeshooter

On Wednesday, September 21, the Malvern Prep faculty and staff participated in a drill to simulate what might happen if an active shooter was on campus.

According to Dean of Students Mr. Tim Dougherty, the realistic exercises resulted in two unidentified participants jumping out of a Carney Hall window.

ALiCE has been implemented as the new active shooter procedure at Malvern Prep as “threats are ever present,” according to Dougherty. According to their website, ALiCE (Alert, Lockdown, inform, Counter, Evacuate), is the “#1 Active Shooter Civilian Response Training for all Organizations.”

After going to training for ALiCE last year, Dougherty, Assistant Dean of Students Dr. Rick Poce, and Director of Campus Safety Mr. Steve Lestrange decided it was time to bring ALiCE to Malvern and its staff and faculty.

ALiCE isn’t your typical intruder response protocol, but it’s far from the only one of its kind. “There are lots of programs,” Lestrange said. “This one is perfect for us…..We are a campus.”

But why is ALiCE all that different? When an active shooter was on campus two years ago, students were herded into “safe” spaces, locked down, and told to remain quiet. With ALiCE this might not be the procedure. Instead, teachers have been trained to listen closely for new information, lockdown if necessary, and counter or evacuate if possible.

One of the most important aspects of ALiCE is the “i” for inform. “It is information based,” Lestrange said.

Dougherty said that if there were an intruder or active shooter on campus that he would be giving accurate and timely information to make sure everyone is safe. This information system includes loudspeaker announcements and text alerts as quickly as there is new information.

“C” stands for counter. Not attack. Not flee. Counter. Don’t attack but act appropriately when given the opportunity. If the shooter comes in the main doors of Carney and you’re in 106, it may be advisable to escape or come up with a plan to otherwise counter the assailant.

The three members who had already undergone ALiCE training, Poce, Dougherty, and Lestrange, led the teachers exercise and acted as active shooters. They split the building into three floors and each of them took a floor.

“It was high stress! There wasn’t much time,” English teacher Ms. Nicole Wilkinson said.

Wilkinson was in room 301 in Carney Hall with Director of College Counseling Mr. Paul Simpson, Social Studies Teacher Mrs. Pam Whitney, and Art Teacher Ms. Kate Plows.

“We immediately went to lock the doors but one of them was broken and wouldn’t lock. We used the desks to barricade the door,” Wilkinson said.

Mr. Dougherty commented on this room’s efficiency and quick thinking. “The doors in Carney open inwards,” said Dougherty. “It was a really good idea.”

Wilkinson occasionally takes her classes outside to the outdoor classroom. She said she learned that under ALiCE procedures, she might take outdoor classes to the retreat centre across the street in the event of a lockdown.

Wilkinson found the training to be helpful. “The ALiCE training made me more conscious about always being aware,” she said.

Overall, Dougherty and Lestrange were pleased with the September training. “Everyone took it seriously and we are very happy with how it went,” Dougherty said.

ALiCE training has been brought to the faculty and staff, but not the students. Dougherty thinks they still need some time to prepare before they train students on the procedure.

“Do we do it with kids?” said Dougherty. “Probably a little ways away.”

“A couple years,” Lestrange added.

“It’s something we always talk about,” Dougherty said. “Keeping you guys safe.”

Story produced in senior Journalism and Media Literacy elective class.