Rowing team heads to Boston, Italy

Co-captains are ready to lead their team to success.

Malvern Rowing has a really big month coming up. Along with two races in Philadelphia, the rowers have races in Boston, Massachusetts and Italy.  The trip to Boston for the Head of the Charles Regatta is on the weekend of October 22-23, and the Italy race, the Silver Skiff, is on November 13.  

The team has been practicing hard since the beginning of the school year to build their strength, stamina, confidence, and chemistry. The crew season lasts all year. The fall season is for some races.

All three of the co-captains have a lot of confidence in their team.

Senior Sean Ward likes the way the team looks. “Everyone on the team is really committed to the sport and there’s a lot of experience,” Ward said. “It’s a really competitive and dedicated group.”

The other senior co-captain, Wally Koch, has some lofty but well founded goals of his own. “We are going to win the National Championship this year,” Koch said. “It’s going to be really cool to be a part of the team that can win it all.”

Junior Drew Brady is also very confident in his team’s potential and agrees with Koch’s prediction. “We’re really young, but I believe we’re much more promising than last year,” Brady said. “We’re definitely a National Championship contending team.”

In Boston and Italy, Ward thinks that his team can beat the competition, but their competition will be very good and a huge challenge for Malvern.

“In both races, we are rowing against potential Olympians,” Ward said. “They’re open events, so we’re rowing against some of the most elite rowers in the world.  We’ll see how that goes. Obviously the goal is to win the races, but we’re going to put our best effort out there.”

Koch wants his team to be successful at Boston and beat their competition. “Our goal for Boston is just to try and beat our competition and see how good we are,” he said.

Brady wants to use these two races as confidence and ability builders.“The races that really matter and that we want to win are in the spring,” Brady said. “The fall is for training, getting experience, and self improvement.  Boston and Italy will help the team members make themselves better so we can succeed later in the season.”