Malvern sports prepare for Homecoming

Water Polo, Soccer, and Football all compete on Homecoming and expect big things.

homecoming

The alumni reunite with one another, the kids get to let loose, and the athletes compete. Here is how athletes prepare for the weekend.

Water Polo

The High School Water Polo team will be playing Gonzaga College Prep on homecoming weekend. Head Coach Jay Schiller says that he secured the match because he is a friend of the Gonzaga Prep coaches.

Coach Schiller said that the team is not really thinking about the homecoming match just yet, but are taking the season one game at a time.

“They’ve been a tough team every time we’ve played them,” Schiller said. “If we want to win, we are going to need to be aggressive on defense, but that doesn’t mean let up on offense.”

Schiller is going to rely on his heavy scoring offense consisting of top goal scorers Isaac Salinas, and Steven Salle. Schiller also expects a big game out of his senior captains Zach Maher and Nick Calvaresi, not only because it is homecoming, but also because it is senior night for the water polo guys.

“I’m psyched,” said Brennan Robinson ’19. “It’s gonna be a great battle between the two teams, and I hope we come out on top.”

Football

The varsity football team faces Germantown Academy on homecoming.

Offensive Line Coach Jeff Carroll has high expectations for his team on homecoming, but he wants to take it slow.

“We just have to take it one game at a time,” Carroll said. “The Inter-Ac is a tough five week schedule and that’s the team’s main focus right now.”  

Inter-Ac games have always been difficult for Malvern, and they have had trouble with Germantown on homecoming in the past.

Carroll said the secret to beating Germantown is “to win off the line of scrimmage every play.”

Soccer

The Varsity soccer team has a game against William Penn Charter. If captains Nate Albergo and Cullen Pina have a good showing, there should be a good game. 

Despite being the great individual players they are, both captains directed the attention to their team’s performance as a whole.

“I think it’s going to be a great, high-intensity game,” Albergo said. “I’m confident that the momentum we have is going to carry over and we’re going to pull out a win.”

Cullen Pina shared Albergo’s views but also emphasized the importance of this game.

“This game could in fact be the deciding game in who wins the Inter-Ac Championship,” Pina said. “I know it’s homecoming and going to be a fun game but we have to keep our eye on the prize.”