Friday Night Lights Make Way to PAC

Friday Night Lights. No, I am not talking about the hit NBC television drama though the Malvern Prep Friars have resembled the Dillon Panthers more and more with packed stands, a team camera man, and cheerleaders at the last home game. (girl cheerleaders!) The one thing we don’t have is Lyla Garrity, but otherwise the football team could definitely have a shot at the Panthers.

All jokes aside, Friar football is in full gear now that InterAc play has begun. Though a heartbreaking double-overtime Homecoming loss to Haverford on October 12 seemed to put the Friars out of championship contention, a strong showing on October 19 in a 46 to 21 win against GA solidified the team’s will to not give up. At this point, every game is a playoff game.

With so much riding on each game, the already heated InterAc matchups escalate to a whole new level. Add in a night game under the lights of Quigley Field and you’ve got more drama than the producers at NBC could handle.

On Friday October 25 at 7:00 pm, the Penn Charter Quakers will come to Warren Ave to face off with our Friars. After graduating three key recruits last year, Charter plans to shake things up around the InterAc. The Friars have a different plan.

Senior linebacker Jake Anderson mentioned the energy the team exhibited in Saturday’s win at Germantown in a recent interview with PA Sports Media. When asked about what is needed this week Anderson said, “Last year’s EA game was the most passionate game I’ve ever played. The fans make the game exciting. They actually influence how we play. Win or loss the fans make the game. These night games are so few and so valuable.”

On and off the field, the night seems promising. Seniors Steven Dunn and Tyler Watkin have been busy planning the next MARC sponsored tailgate after the successful St. Mary’s and Glenn Mills games. MARC stands for Malvernians Acting as Role Models in Camden. All proceeds of the tailgate go toward programs in Camden, New Jersey, that Friars have come in contact through the Christian Service program.

This will be just the third home night game in the program’s history. Last season’s EA game drew a record crowd along with a lot of planning. Security, parking, and food all need to be planned well in advance. The staff did a great job last year and proved we can handle the night crowd during the St. Mary’s game on October 5th which began at 6:00. Again and again we have shown we are capable of keeping the lights on.

The lights will be shining, the hill will be filled with cars, and good football will be played on the field. If gruesome hitting isn’t your thing, supporting the MARC tailgate is another great way of spending your Friday night. No matter what, just do something to support your brothers. Go Friars!

UPDATE: Friars won in convincing fashion: 41-0. Next Friday night, November 1st, the team will travel to Episcopal Academy. Support our boys!