Malvern celebrates Veterans Day

Stage in the quad decorated to honor veterans

Since the date’s official ratification in 1938, Malvern Prep has been celebrating Veterans’ Day for over 75 years.

Malvern honored veterans on Friday, Nov. 11 by decorating the new stage in the quad with an American flag in the center. The grass around the field had spokes tied with yellow ribbons handwritten with names of people who served in the military related to the Malvern community.

Director of the Arts Ms. Jackie White sparked the idea to put American flag on the stage, and post the dowel rods and yellow ribbons around the stage.

“I was driving to work and a lot of my my friends weren’t going to school because they had off,” she said. “I started to think about my father, who was in WWII. I have a nephew who is a pilot, and a brother-in-law, who also was a pilot. I felt students really need to know what’s going on.”

She asked students to write names of family members or friends of Malvern students who served and tie these ribbons to the posts.

Many of Malvern’s graduates have gone on to ROTC programs, service academies, and the five branches of the military. Numerous have fought in a variety of American Wars from 1842 to present day.

Assistant Director of Admissions and Diversity Mr. Patrick Williams ’03 joined an ROTC program and eventually the Air Force.

“It’s a tremendous honor and privilege to serve your country,” he said.

There are several memorial reminders on campus of our graduates’ service to the country. A Sacred Heart WWII memorial is outside of Tolentine Hall. Near the Chapel, there is a tombstone to the 5 branches of the military.

Malvern President Fr. James Flynn O.S.A. has been at the school for over 25 years, and sees graduates go on to serve each year.

“To defend our country and its people is a very noble thing, and sometimes it requires the ultimate sacrifice,”  Flynn said. “Jesus said that a greater love than this no man has – to give up his life for his friends.”

View Comments (1)