Fidget toys come to the middle school

Middle school students are bringing toys to school to help concentrate during class.

fidgettoys

Since they came back from Christmas break, some Middle School students have been using little gadgets and toys to help them focus during lessons and tests. The most popular of these focus toys are fidget cubes and fidget spinners.

Some teachers and students think that sometimes it is hard for students to focus in classes.

“I think it’s difficult for young men to sit still for an extended period of time like a 60 minute class,” Seventh Grade Dean Mr. Leo Kindon said. “My reasons are they don’t focus on taking notes, and when they’re giving something to do they rush to get it done rather than taking their time to get it done correctly.”

Some students think that using a fidget toy is fine if it doesn’t distract the class or the person using it.

“It’s just fun. It doesn’t distract you. It prevents you from moving around a lot and being fidgety,” eighth grader Jack Fialko said. “It’s not as distracting for the class as moving around. As long as it doesn’t disrupt anything in your class, it’s fine.”

Seventh grade student Zach Brill thinks that it is fine for students to use fidget toys “as long as you make it silent.”

Seventh grader Jack David said that he uses a fidget toy but makes sure not to disturb anyone.

“Even I fidget, but you have to do it in a way that doesn’t distract other people or be audible,” Davis said.

Seventh grader Cole Caba said that fidget toys are beneficial if the student is paying attention.

“But if the person is just focused on the fidget toy and not paying attention in class, then I think that’s where it can’t be done,” Caba said.

Kindon does not like the fidget toys because they think that the toys distract the class.

“I am currently researching to see if the fidget toys actually help the student, and if there is no proof, I think we should prohibit students having them,” Kindon said. “When I’m in the middle of class and and I turn to write something on the board, I hear students playing with them when they should be writing notes.”

Eighth Grade Dean and Spanish teacher Mr. Robert Buscaglia agrees with Kindon.

“It’s been a distraction rather than doing the thing it’s supposed to do, which is keeping kids physically occupied so they can mentally pay attention. But I’ve seen the opposite in my classes, for the most part,” Buscaglia said.

Some students think that some of the fidget toys are a distraction to the class.

“A lot of the ones kids bring in you can hear from the entire way on the other end of the classroom, so it’s really not a productive thing,” Davis said.

Some teachers like Sixth Grade Dean and English teacher Mr. Jamie Wasson do not have students that own fidget toys in their classes.

“I haven’t experienced one, so I have no idea if they are or aren’t distracting,” Wasson said.

Buscaglia thinks that the number of kids bringing in fidget cubes and fidget spinners are dwindling.

“It’s dying down a little bit now. The number of kids that are using them aren’t using them as much,” Buscaglia said.