Athlete of the Issue: Michael Beard ’18

Michael Beard is ranked number 1 in the country after years of hard work and dedication.

AthleteoftheIssue-Beard

Junior Michael Beard just led his team to a third consecutive Inter-Ac wrestling championship, finishing undefeated.

Beard is pursuing another season of excellence for Malvern Prep. “I have just grown up wrestling and I could not imagine not doing it,” he said. “It pushes me to be the best I can be in every part of my life.”

Beard finished the regular season undefeated going 30-0, helping his team win the Inter-Ac for the third straight season. In the Independent School Pennsylvania State Championships Beard performed as expected and won first place in the 195 pound weight class

Beard moved up to the 195 pound weight class from the 182 pound weight class this year, and he is planning on wrestling at 195 pound for the remainder of his career at Malvern.

Unlike some other wrestlers, Beard does not put on too much weight in between weigh-ins. “Ever since I moved up to 195 [pounds], I just stay at roughly the same weight all season while some kids put on 5-10 pounds in between weigh-ins before matches,” he said.

Beard’s favorite memory of his season so far was winning the Walsh Ironman Tournament in his weight class because it was something he had never done before and was really striving for.

Beard has won other prestigious tournaments throughout the season for his weight class, such as Escape the Rock and Beast of the East. He also defeated #2 ranked Jelani Embree at the Who’s #1 tournament. To cap off his fantastic season, Beard was nominated as PAISAA Wrestler of the Year

Beard recently committed to Northwestern University for wrestling. “I have always just assumed that I would be going to wrestling for college, but now that I finally made a commitment it seems unreal,” Beard said.

Beard has attended Malvern since the the middle school and has loved every aspect of it. “It’s awesome to see your friends come close to you as you get to have different experiences together,” he said.