Teacher of the Issue: Mr. Robert Colameco

Longtime AP U.S. History teacher shares some snapshots into his life and career.

Mr. Robert Colameco has been teaching at Malvern for over three decades and has overseen a handful of various activities and jobs on Malvern’s Campus. He currently teaches mainly juniors and seniors in AP U.S. History.

Colameco grew up in Ridley Township and attended Cardinal O’Hara High School from which he graduated in 1968. He then moved onto Cabrini University in Radnor.

After graduating from Cabrini with a bachelor’s degree in sociology, Colameco worked at Benjamin Franklin High School and then Upper Darby High School before coming to Malvern.

Aside from his ability to work well with other people and his interest in government and politics, Colameco said that what also inspired him to become a teacher was the teachers that he had in high school. Colameco went straight out of Cabrini and into teaching which he has enjoyed ever since.

“It’s a really nice profession and it’s really rewarding,” Colameco said.

For three years, Colameco worked at Upper Darby as a long term sub. When he was over with his tenure there he heard about an opening at Malvern Prep from a friend and applied.

But it wasn’t always smooth sailing. Colameco did not actually get the position he applied for.

“I put an application in and didn’t get the job,” he said, “but three weeks later they needed someone else and called me back and I got the job.”

Some students in Colameco’s classes said particularly like his unique and engaging style of teaching.

Junior Christian DiCicco in Colameco’s AP U.S. history class prefers his style of teaching because of how he involves students in his lectures.

“I love his classes and his teaching style too. Its different from other classes I have. In other classes teachers just talk at you, but he gets you involved,” DiCicco said.

Other students say that the class is great preparation for college style classes.

“You really have to take responsibility, knowing what to write down and what to study,” junior Peter Borger said.

In addition to teaching history, Colameco has also coached most Malvern soccer teams, started the TV studio in 1989, and has run the world affairs club. However, his favorite hobby and on campus job is photography.

Colameco has had a passion for photography that goes back even longer than he has been teaching. However, when he took up teaching at Malvern that didn’t slow down his love for photography.

Currently, Colameco is the school photographer and was previously the videographer. Colameco used to film all of the Malvern events and football games but passed the job on to pursue his still-life work.

Most major Malvern events are photographed by Colameco, including sports games, MTS performances, and the brotherhood ceremony.

As a part time job, along with his full time teaching job, Colameco photographs events outside of school. He says he plans to work in teaching for a while and continue his work with photography.