“Get Out” gets people out (to theaters)

What is making people get out to theaters in large numbers to see this?

Where did this movie come from? I’m a huge Jordan Peele fan, and I’m proud to say every single episode of Key and Peele is still saved in my DVR to this day. I still had no idea this movie was coming out until it did.

“Get Out” could fit into a lot of genres but the main one being tossed around is horror. I want to clarify that this is not a horror movie. It is a thriller that contains some elements of horror. No, that isn’t a spoiler.

Watching Key and Peele, you could tell that they were interested in movies with a darker side. So it is not a massive shock for me to see Jordan Peele in the director’s chair even though he’s a comedian.

[perfectpullquote align=”left” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]Watching Key and Peele, you could tell that they were interested in movies with a darker side. [/perfectpullquote]

You may have seen some ads for this movie, or maybe you saw something on Twitter and it piqued your interest. That’s exactly what happened to me. I was hesitant to jump on this movie the weekend it came out and waited for a while to see if it was any good. Long story short, it’s very good. “Get Out” has a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and is the first movie by a black director in his debut to gross 100 million dollars.

Without diving too deep into the plot, “Get Out” concerns the happenings of a weekend when a black man goes to meet his girlfriend’s parents at their home. They live on a lake in a community that is almost exclusively white, and they also have two black housekeepers who live with them. Similar to most thrillers, something funky is going on.

“Get Out” is the first movie of its genre to directly tackle the issue of race in America. It is coming from a black perspective which is something you don’t see enough of in Hollywood. This only makes the success of the film more impressive.

What I love about this movie is that Jordan Peele’s comedic background can still be felt throughout the film. Yes, there are parts of the film that are utterly serious, but there are also parts that are comedic. They offer a refreshing change of pace that you just don’t expect.

“Get Out” may not be my absolute favorite film of all time, but I love how it tries to do so much. Jordan Peele’s directorial debut gets somewhere around a 9/10 in my mind. My recommendation to you is to get out and see it before it gets out of theatres.