Chestnuts Roasted By an Open Friar

It was a warm and fulfilling afternoon on Saturday, November 9 as the football team took down the Blue Devils of Springside Chestnut Hill to reclaim the Inter-Ac championship.

It wasn’t an easy task, as the game proved to be a shootout between both teams’ offenses.

The visiting Blue Devils got on the board by connecting on a 5 yard touchdown pass to take the lead. However, Malvern’s offense responded quickly as senior running back Troy Gallen galloped 65 yards down field to even up the score.

The remainder of the first half was a battle, as Malvern’s defense struggled to contain the Blue Devil’s aerial attack. The Friars went into halftime trailing 28-27.

Senior John Monday’s fiery halftime speech rejuvenated the players.  He reminded them how hard they worked to achieve their goal and how they were champions.

Their goal was “so big how could they miss it?”

Locked and loaded, the Friars came out guns blazing as junior quarterback Alex Hornibrook connected with senior Hunter Paulus on a 49 yard touchdown pass on the first play from scrimmage to give the Friars the lead.

The Blue Devils responded quickly, driving down the field to set up a touchdown pass that tied the game up at 35. But the Friars took control of the game as their rushing game, led by Gallen was too much for the Blue Devil’s too handle.

The senior racked up a total of 6 touchdowns and 327 yards rushing on the day, which sealed the deal for the Friars’ victory.  He eclipsed 1000 yards for the season with the performance.

The defense showed its resiliency and toughness as it forced huge turnovers and shutdown Springside’s passing attack for the remainder of the game. The boys in blue were able to cruise to a 63-50 victory and bring the Inter-Ac championship back home to Warren Avenue.