Athlete of the Issue: Jaxson Hoey

In only his second year in high school, Jaxson Hoey has become a leader of the cross country team. The sophomore led the team to its 10th Inter-Ac title in the last 11 years by finishing 2nd in the championship race on October 21st at Belmont Plateau.  Hoey came in 1st in the PAISAA race the following week, leading a pack of seven Malvern runners that finished in the top twenty.  The state championship was also held at Belmont Plateau.

Running is in Hoey’s blood.  His parents were successful runners as teens and his little brother, Josh, runs on the team as an eighth grader.

I had a chance to sit down with Hoey to ask him some questions about his cross country career.

Stemper: GA rival Sam Ritz beat you out for first place during the Inter-Ac race but you outkicked him to win the State race.  What was going through your head before the state race and during that last stretch you outkicked him in and how’d it feel to claim victory?

Hoey: First off, thanks for having me on the paper… its an honor to talk Stemp. After the loss at Inter-Acs, I had a feeling that I could beat Sam, and it did not seem as impossible as I thought before. Coming into States, I felt pretty confident in my training, my kick, that my teammates were going to cheer me on, and that God would give me the extra strength to pull it off. In the last straight, he was ahead at first, but I was determined to win and thought about what my dad said the night before, “If you can’t give anymore, give a little more” and once I pulled ahead, I gave more in fear that he would fight back, being the great kicker that he is. After the race, I just felt satisfied, and only a runner knows that feeling of self satisfaction. It also felt pretty cool when Chris White lifted me up carried me in celebration though.

Stemper: Cross Country doesn’t always get the highest popularity despite how successful it has been at Malvern.  What got you started running?

Hoey: I have been running ever since I can remember. My parents always wanted me to be a runner and have always told me it was “my destiny”. I always give a lot of credit to them for everything that I am today.

Stemper: Do you want to continue your running career in college?  Is there anywhere you’ve thought of?

Hoey: It has always been my dream to run in college and hopefully beyond that. I have thought about local places like Villanova but besides that, not a lot.

Stemper: How did it feel helping lead your team to the first ever state championship in the 91 year history of Malvern Cross Country? Is that your most memorable moment as a member of this team?

Hoey: Winning the state was fun, but I feel like we should be aspiring to keep getting better as individuals and teams. We knew we were going to be heavy favorites for the Independent School State championship, but our real goal was to make some noise at the regional meet and if all goes well, represent the Northeast at Nike Team Nationals. My most memorable moments were at states, with Chris White picking me up after the race and carrying me around like a backpack, and singing the alma mater under the state champ banner.

Stemper: What are your goals for these next 2 years of high school regarding your Cross Country/Running career and the goals for the team?

Hoey: The ultimate goal for my Cross Country career at Malvern is to make Nationals as a team at Nike or if that doesn’t work out individually at Foot Locker. The minor goals of course are winning the league and state for years to come, and to make a name for Malvern Prep as a running powerhouse in the state and on the East Coast.