All Good Things Must Come to an End

With an attempt to soak it all in, senior athletes reflect on their favorite memories from their high school sports careers.

Over the last four years, athletes from the class of 2017 have contributed to numerous Inter-Ac titles, state championships, and record breaking seasons. While continuing the success of many teams, they also began to build a strong foundation for others.

Senior Billy Coyle looked back on his years playing Malvern sports, specifically soccer in the fall.

Coyle was the captain of the soccer team this past season, and he explained that the team has hope for the future.

“The team was very strong last year, but we didn’t end up winning the Inter-Ac,” Coyle said. “Hopefully, next year we can.”

One of the team’s many important wins from this past season was against Kiski Preparatory School, and Coyle was a big contributor to the win.

“The Kiski game stuck with me and the team the most,” he said. “They’re one of the top teams in the state. We beat them 3-0 and I scored twice.”

Coyle called upon his favorite memory from playing Malvern soccer from his past four years on the team.

“My favorite memory was definitely beating Haverford on homecoming junior year. That was the first time beating them in 4 years, and I scored the winning goal. At the time, they were ranked 4th in the country,” Coyle said.

Senior Cullen Robinson reflected on his time on Malvern’s swimming and diving team.

“My favorite part of the team is that they always have your back, no matter what. From brand new swimmers to lifers in the sport, you can find Malvern guys cheering by the pool as if the meet depended on that one swim,” Robinson said.

Robinson was one of the captains of the swimming and diving team this season and led the team to a second place spot in the Inter-Ac.

Although he loves the competition, Robinson said he enjoys the social aspect of the sport even more.

“While the sport is fun and competitive, it is the people and what happens out of the pool that is the best,” he said.

In January, the team took a training trip to Florida for a week, and Robinson described this experience as one he enjoyed greatly.

“My favorite memory was rooming with my new best friends in Florida,” Robinson said.

Along with swimming and diving, Malvern lacrosse has always been a strong team that consistently competes for a top Inter-Ac place in the spring.

Senior Ray Baran recalls his four years on the team and some of his favorite memories.

“One of the best memories was beating Haverford my freshman year in the championship, then also defeating them my senior year after losing to them seven times in a row,” Baran said.

Baran noted that the Haverford win was a monumental win for the team, and it came about through some inspiration beforehand.

“After we had just lost to Episcopal Academy, we turned our whole team around and the next practice was amazing,” Baran said. “We ended up beating Haverford the next game.”

Baran isn’t just going to miss the amazing games or practices, but he will also miss all that Malvern sports has provided for him over the years.

“I’m going to miss playing Malvern sports. The amount of friends and memories I have made throughout my four years is unbelievable. I am so happy I came to Malvern,” he said.