Emergency Fashion Review: The Romphim

I’m not even kidding, this is urgent.

The world is ending.

I was scrolling through Twitter, minding my own business. Eventually, I got sick of the Trust the Process memes and decided to check out the discover page. This is when I was aggressively presented with a story on how male rompers will be the next big summer fashion piece.

I am here to say that these Frankensteins of clothing don’t look BAD. They aren’t quite good but a couple months in development could put them there.

You might be thinking ‘what’s wrong with this kid, how could anyone like these?’ To that I would reply ‘a lot of things’ but you have to trust me on this one.

They basically are a button down shirt connected to shorts that go to about the mid thigh. On paper, they don’t sound appealing at all and I will admit I was appalled when I first heard about them but on further inspection, I kind of liked them even though I really really don’t want to.

Essentially, they are the combination of the short shorts trend with the pattern button down trend to make one, singular, and all powerful trend that will take over the world.

Personally, I don’t like the concept of taking an article of clothing that is historically female and adapting it to appeal to men on a massive and broad scale because it opens the door for soooooo many possibilities and would inevitably result in the combining of the two categories. I really don’t want these to exist but they do exist, so I have to get over it.

It’s worth noting that they aren’t mainstream yet. A company released the romper and called it RompHim (decent pun, 8 out of 10) after an incredible kickstarter campaign raised $10,000 in its first day.

I’ve said I don’t like their concept but I like how they look. I want people to fully understand that I do not support these but I don’t condemn them either. I’m not going to buy one anytime soon but I won’t shoot dirty looks at them on the street.

I think it is a big step forward in fashion for dudes. As far as summer fashion goes, it’s pretty much been khaki shorts and a shirt for the past two hundred years. This breaks the cycle and throws a curve into the mix that could really change the game. These things have potential.

Mark my words, if you had a time machine and travelled to the year 2024, every man, woman, and child will be wearing one of these so you might as well give in now and get ahead of the curve.